badly bricked droid razr

pfunkski

Reaction score
hey guys:

Throwing in towel and asking for help. I bricked my droid razr bad and cannot get it to come back on. I had a droid x before I got the razr and I bricked that too but was able to recover it a bunch of times. I assumed that if the same happened with the razr, I wouldn't have much trouble obtaining the sbf files and flashing back to stock. Bad assumption. I started off rooting the razr. no problem there. I was shooting for cm10 on the razr. it had 2.3.5 gingerbread to start. stupidly, i used the bionic bootstrap that came with the rooting procedure to install cm10 and gapps. once that installation was complete, I got stuck in a bootloop of the motologo. didn't realize I can't jump straight from gingerbread to and ics build without taking the proper steps inbetween. I couldn't find any procedure to use ubuntu to flash the device, which I would prefer. The battery was dead so I pulled apart a spare usb and hardwired power to the device. I then found mattlgroffs droid razr utility posts and rsd posts and gave them a shot. I downloaded VRZ_XT912_6.5.1-73_DHD-11_M1-2_1FF_01.xml files and drivers etc, and started the rsd flash process. it seemed to be hung up on writing the system.im section for about 30 minutes but I didn't want to unplug the phone since i already started the process, then, since I stupidly didn't tape the phone down and had it on my ps3, it slid off and one of the power terminals became disconnected and the phone shut-off. after that, I had nothing, can't even boot into recovery which I was able to do before starting rsd fastboot procedure. I tried droidrazrutility 1.42 and it hangs on the same section, writing system.im. It has been like 5 days now of searching for an answer. Does anybody have a solution that has worked or am i pretty much f'ed?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome to the forum!

I am gonna move this over the Razr subsection where ya might get some help :)...good luck!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the forum, and sorry you are having such troubles.

So at this point what will your phone do?

Turn on?

Get into recovery or AP Fastboot?

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Hope you get it fixed. DancingNexus

OP
P

pfunkski

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

at this point I cannot do much with the phone.

If I press the power button to turn on the device, I get no motologo and it boots directly to a screen with this text (picture attached):

AP Flashsboot Flash Mode (S) (Flash Failure)
OA.6C
To return to normal mode- first press power key to power down

Device is LOCKED, Status Code: 0

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

If I select AP Fastboot, it appears to take me to the ready screen for AP Fastbooting but every time I try to flash it back with RSD or droidrazrutility it hangs up on the 'writing system' section*

if I hold vol + and vol - and then power up, I can get to the boot mode selection menu. If I select Recovery, the motologo flashes for a second and then (picture attached):

OA.6C

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

Invalid CG OTV (CG: cdrom): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG HAB (CG: cdrom, status: 0X0056)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: cdrom)

Attachments

• IMG_20121002_162010.jpg
    IMG_20121002_162010.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 2,159
  • IMG_20121002_162748.jpg
    IMG_20121002_162748.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 804

kijutsu

Reaction score
If you've never messed with ICS at all -- I'd find an older version of RazrUtility that was Gingerbread based and try that. I fail at remembering version numbers before ICS, but that looks like a leak you're trying to use, and I'm thinking that might be part of your issue.

Thanks for your replies.

at this point I cannot do much with the phone.

If I press the power button to turn on the device, I get no motologo and it boots directly to a screen with this text (picture attached):

OA.6C

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

If I select AP Fastboot, it appears to take me to the ready screen for AP Fastbooting but every time I try to flash it back with RSD or droidrazrutility it hangs up on the 'writing system' section*

if I hold vol + and vol - and then power up, I can get to the boot mode selection menu. If I select Recovery, the motologo flashes for a second and then (picture attached):

OA.6C

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

Invalid CG OTV (CG: cdrom): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG HAB (CG: cdrom, status: 0X0056)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: cdrom)

OP
P

pfunkski

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas. So I tried every version of droid razor utility I could find, starting with 1.42 onward, they all get stuck on the step "flashing system.img". I thought maybe I was being impatient so I went to bed and let the utility run (using 1.42, 1.6, etc). When i woke up it was still stuck on that step. I did some more digging and found a linux version for flashing the droid razor called LinuxMacUtility1-81. I know that this version is for ICS and that my phone has gingerbread, but since I have tried every other option for windows without success, and being more comfortable using a unix system, and my phone being pretty much useless since I started this, i tried it. To my amazement, this utility was successful at flashing the ICS version and writing over everything that was on the phone, but I knew this wouldn't work because its ICS, not gingerbread. No suprise, it didn't work but what it did do was change the start up behavior of the phone, I no longer get the flash fail message, but after the motologo I get a blank screen. Kijutsu I agree that I need the gingerbread files and you gave me the idea of going into the file tree that LinuxMacUtility1-81 uses, since I know I need the gingerbread files as you specified. I decided to try putting in the image files for gingerbread into the folder that LinuxMacUtility1-81.sh uses, and changing the LinuxMacUtilty1-81.sh code slightly so that it would point to the gingerbread files instead of the ICS files. I'm not sure if this worked or not, the flash was successful, and I now have the stock recovery mode back, and I have the option to factory reset, wipe cache, etc. When I reboot, the moto logo shows up, and the phone starts for a second, and I get this message "invalid battery, phone cannot charge." I touch ok, and the new droid utility message is only available for a couple of seconds, then the phone automatically powers down and starts a new boot loop with the stock image and won't quit until I go into recovery and wipe the cache and factory reset. This is how far I have come, I kind of fixed it but not really sure. Do I have to have a battery in there to tell for sure or is it resetting for some other reason? I wonder if I should try one of the original droid razr utilities for windows again?? If this gives anybody any ideas I would love some more options, I'll get there eventually, I think I am a lot closer, see the image attached.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 655

kijutsu

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas. So I tried every version of droid razor utility I could find, starting with 1.42 onward, they all get stuck on the step "flashing system.img". I thought maybe I was being impatient so I went to bed and let the utility run (using 1.42, 1.6, etc). When i woke up it was still stuck on that step. I did some more digging and found a linux version for flashing the droid razor called LinuxMacUtility1-81. I know that this version is for ICS and that my phone has gingerbread, but since I have tried every other option for windows without success, and being more comfortable using a unix system, and my phone being pretty much useless since I started this, i tried it. To my amazement, this utility was successful at flashing the ICS version and writing over everything that was on the phone, but I knew this wouldn't work because its ICS, not gingerbread. No suprise, it didn't work but what it did do was change the start up behavior of the phone, I no longer get the flash fail message, but after the motologo I get a blank screen. Kijutsu I agree that I need the gingerbread files and you gave me the idea of going into the file tree that LinuxMacUtility1-81 uses, since I know I need the gingerbread files as you specified. I decided to try putting in the image files for gingerbread into the folder that LinuxMacUtility1-81.sh uses, and changing the LinuxMacUtilty1-81.sh code slightly so that it would point to the gingerbread files instead of the ICS files. I'm not sure if this worked or not, the flash was successful, and I now have the stock recovery mode back, and I have the option to factory reset, wipe cache, etc. When I reboot, the moto logo shows up, and the phone starts for a second, and I get this message "invalid battery, phone cannot charge." I touch ok, and the new droid utility message is only available for a couple of seconds, then the phone automatically powers down and starts a new boot loop with the stock image and won't quit until I go into recovery and wipe the cache and factory reset. This is how far I have come, I kind of fixed it but not really sure. Do I have to have a battery in there to tell for sure or is it resetting for some other reason? I wonder if I should try one of the original droid razr utilities for windows again?? If this gives anybody any ideas I would love some more options, I'll get there eventually, I think I am a lot closer, see the image attached.

At this point -- it sounds like you have a functional phone. While you're connected to the power mod, do a factory reset within the stock recovery. Fully power off the phone, reinstall your battery, and let it charge overnight, do not power on the device while it's charging, it will charge smoother and do a full charge on it. Sometimes phone batteries get wonky if they are fully discharged the way it sounds like yours is.

OP
P

pfunkski

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that I have a working phone yet. I hooked up the battery, put a full charge on it, but some weird behavior still going on, and I am suspecting the sim card is faulty in some way. After I do the fastboot procedure, the phone automatically boots into recovery. From there, If I have the sim card inserted in the phone, I get the driod logo and it takes me to the "welcome to droid razr" menu with the little green android guy, but I only see him for like 3 or 4 seconds and then the phone powers down and gets stuck in a boot loop and won't stop unless I force the phone to power down, then go back into recovery and select factory reset. But If I take the sim card out of the phone, the phone stays powered on like everything is alright, and If I touch the droid I get this message: "A SIM card is needed to operate this phone. Please turn off your phone and inset your SIM card." If I then insert the SIM card that I have, the phone shuts off and goes back into a bootloop, and then I have to factory reset again to get the phone to stop the bootloop. I guess my question is did I somehow corrupt my SIM card back when I was trying to flash CM10? If so, can I format it somehow (would or do I need to get a new one?

kijutsu

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that I have a working phone yet. I hooked up the battery, put a full charge on it, but some weird behavior still going on, and I am suspecting the sim card is faulty in some way. After I do the fastboot procedure, the phone automatically boots into recovery. From there, If I have the sim card inserted in the phone, I get the driod logo and it takes me to the "welcome to droid razr" menu with the little green android guy, but I only see him for like 3 or 4 seconds and then the phone powers down and gets stuck in a boot loop and won't stop unless I force the phone to power down, then go back into recovery and select factory reset. But If I take the sim card out of the phone, the phone stays powered on like everything is alright, and If I touch the droid I get this message: "A SIM card is needed to operate this phone. Please turn off your phone and inset your SIM card." If I then insert the SIM card that I have, the phone shuts off and goes back into a bootloop, and then I have to factory reset again to get the phone to stop the bootloop. I guess my question is did I somehow corrupt my SIM card back when I was trying to flash CM10? If so, can I format it somehow (would or do I need to get a new one?

SIMs can't be formatted. I'm thinking your SIM is not damaged, but possibly dirty. Try removing it and wiping the contacts off (do not use cleaner, could eat the card). They (SIMs) contain vital phone identification information that will help your phone connect to the LTE towers.

From my experience, it's normal from a fastboot to dump into recovery so you can do a full factory data/cache wipe.

Here's what I recommend, try using an original DroidUtility to re-fastboot your phone now that the battery is working and charged. Do a FULL WIPE on cache, data, battery stats, as much as you can from the DroidUtility. Sounds like there's something left behind from the bad flash making your phone retarded.

darkknightmod

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
motorola droid razr maxx
Where can I find a free download of droid razr utility 1.42 I have searched all over