Bad News of the Day: Motorola is Installing a 'Root Checker' on VZW ICS Devices

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What does vzw have against moto? I mean this is ridiculous. Vzw does not do this with any other manufacturer. When my contract is up, goodbye vzw. Off contract band unlocked nexus devices only for me going forward.

thisiswang

Reaction score
the s3 has something similar called a flash counter but they found a way to reset it. it might be similar..... i dunno

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
What does vzw have against moto? I mean this is ridiculous. Vzw does not do this with any other manufacturer. When my contract is up, goodbye vzw. Off contract band unlocked nexus devices only for me going forward.

Maybe they asked Moto to do it as a test bed. Since Moto was able to work the report into their script, Verizon will now be asking other Manufacturers to do the same thing.

I just unrooted with Super SU. Wiped the cache and still showed 1/1.

I did not unroot bc of this information. They were already collecting that information on me since May by way of bug2go. I opened up a report from back in May and sure enough, it had reported that my phone was rooted. I unrooted because I want to run my corporate email on my Bionic and not on a pos Blackberry. The first time I installed the software it froze and wiped itself after it determined I was rooted. So I unrooted and reinstalled the software. All is good.

The carriers are not going to make a big stink about rooting. If it were to go to court and they had to answer questions about not allowing customers to remove bloatware, they would look bad. This will be a battle between the phone's devs and the outside devs for years to come just like the radar detector/radar gun people.

52brandon

Reaction score
wonders if an SBF would reset that ?? My bionic on an ICS leak already has that :)
I would imagine it does, as I thought it replaced everything on the phone. I know it at least did back on my D1...

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
dgstorm said:
We have some mildly annoying news to share with you regarding rooted Verizon Motorola devices. Motorola, at Verizon's request, has been installing "root checker" software on all Motorola devices that run Ice Cream Sandwich. This includes the Droid RAZR, RAZR MAXX, the Droid 4, and will include the Bionic once ICS rolls out for it. This "root checker" will basically allow any Big Red employee to check to see if your phone has ever been rooted. If they determine that it has it will likely void the warranty. Here's a quote with a full description,

Now, obviously, there's no guarantee that a Verizon store employee would necessarily punish someone who brought in their phone for a legitimate hardware problem that had nothing to do with the rooting; however, it puts them in the position of doing so at Verizon's discretion. We thought you would want to know.

Thanks for the tip, bsweetness!

Updated: Apparently, the root checker is already installed on ICS Moto devices.

Source: Android.net via PhoneArena
This is why u fxz a phone before returning the device u do not unroot then send it back an fxz will completely wipe the phone to out of the factory state an i mean a fulll fxz meaning unedited to save data or internal storage

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
sargentmajord said:
This is why u fxz a phone before returning the device u do not unroot then send it back an fxz will completely wipe the phone to out of the factory state an i mean a fulll fxz meaning unedited to save data or internal storage

Or soft brick the recovery xD but i would recommend the fxz

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I have two more years on my contracts. THEN, I will kiss off Verizon and Motorola forever!

Maybe we'll get lucky before then and Moto & VZW will pull in to a garage, shut the door and leave the car running. One can dream! :biggrin:

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
...Motorola, at Verizon's request, has been installing "root checker" software on all Motorola devices that run Ice Cream Sandwich...

tumblr_lyltfgxSd11qaaihx.gif

Jeyman

Reaction score
Or soft brick the recovery xD but i would recommend the fxz

When a phone is the prob and not what a person did I have hard bricked the phone to the point it wont turn on. Have done this 5 times for friends who got **** phones but was not willing to pay that $100 for a refurbished phone.

Bricked them to the point nothing worked ~_~lol

note: this is not something you should go around doing if you screwed your own phone up; Iv only done this when it was a factory defect that might not of been covered.

also I would like to no what right they have to install something to see what my phone is doing. this feels like how google/apple was tracking our wifi/locations.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just booted into recovery to check, and sho nuff I gots a little "qe 1/1" next to the little Android dude laying on his back. I'm busted :icon_rolleyes:

Better tether while I can before the man shows up at my door :rofl3: