Bad network signal? Try a new 4G sim card.

jawa6969

Reaction score
i was having similar issues. just got my tb on friday, had intermittent data problems over the weekend, then today rebooted by itself after losing data connectivity at around 1100MST. final straw, so i called vzn support, spoke to a customer service person who quickly pushed me to technical support. there is a known ticket opened internally with vzn regarding this issue with ALL tb devices. their fix was not to touch the PRL but rather a hard factory reset -> settings | sd & phone storage | factory data reset. took about 3 minutes to reset, reboot and another 3 to configure gmail and exchange. cloud apps from market and contacts all restored flawlessly after a few minutes. I dont have 4G in my area but 3G is working as expected now. Technician recommended to NOT change the PRL number as that relates to the Alltel acquisition and is used in areas Alltel wireless towers are used for vzn coverage (hence the hybrid term)

htc thunderbolt - upgrade from OG moto droid |>liquid frozen yogurt<|

The one tech I spoke to talked of a hard reset as well. What exactly does a hard factory reset do (other then wipe all data from the phone)? What if the phone is rooted?

k0nahbear

Reaction score
i was having similar issues. just got my tb on friday, had intermittent data problems over the weekend, then today rebooted by itself after losing data connectivity at around 1100MST. final straw, so i called vzn support, spoke to a customer service person who quickly pushed me to technical support. there is a known ticket opened internally with vzn regarding this issue with ALL tb devices. their fix was not to touch the PRL but rather a hard factory reset -> settings | sd & phone storage | factory data reset. took about 3 minutes to reset, reboot and another 3 to configure gmail and exchange. cloud apps from market and contacts all restored flawlessly after a few minutes. I dont have 4G in my area but 3G is working as expected now. Technician recommended to NOT change the PRL number as that relates to the Alltel acquisition and is used in areas Alltel wireless towers are used for vzn coverage (hence the hybrid term)

htc thunderbolt - upgrade from OG moto droid |>liquid frozen yogurt<|

The one tech I spoke to talked of a hard reset as well. What exactly does a hard factory reset do (other then wipe all data from the phone)? What if the phone is rooted?

not sure exactly other than removing all the apps\data\etc from the device as if you pulled it out of the box. i hope this isn't going to be vzn's rubber stamp on data\3g\4g connection issues going forward. for the money i pay monthly - in excess of 300$ with 2 unlimited talk\data plans and a broadband card - they better figure it out and stop wasting my time.

spider210

Reaction score
Hated reset is your best bet. Not a new sim

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

leo67

Reaction score
I also have the 1500 #
Mine seems to b ok just no 3g
Should I go ahead and. Do the update ?

Sent from my ADR6400L

k0nahbear

Reaction score
I also have the 1500 #
Mine seems to b ok just no 3g
Should I go ahead and. Do the update ?

Sent from my ADR6400L

I don't know about any update but a factory reset for me did the trick. So far so good with consistent 3g and no interruptions

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
K

kxs783kms

Reaction score
Yeah guys, I wasn't speaking about data, I honestly have no idea if this will help that. I was speaking about the voice network itself. I didn't wait 24 hours for the update. After 8 hours, I got home, pulled the sim and battery out for 30 seconds(this is what the rep told me to do since he didn't have any spare sim cards.) Let the phone reboot and I now have 3-4 consistent bars on my wife's phone. So the update/upgrade to the PRL he sent out actually did work. Go ahead and pull your sim and battery out for 30 seconds and let it reboot.(With the update that was pushed to your phone, it will now look for the nearest towers on the Hybrid network.) He told me the update would only take a couple of hours to reach my phone,not 24. BTW, her PRL changed from 15008, to 13006.

Last edited: