Bad ESN - Flash to verizon prepay?

ArykMeyer

Reaction score
Bought a phone off craigslist cause it was a cheap deal. Owner claims a bad ESN. I've done some searching and people say it can be flashed to cricket or some other cheap prepay service. I was wondering is it possible to flash it to verizon's prepay service? and if so any way to use the $50 plan they have? other wise what company would you recommend to use?

Scimino

Reaction score
I would look into unlocking it. I know only few phones can do it IPhone is one, (as long as they come out with jailbreak/unlock) for 5.1.

Sent from my XT875 using DroidForums

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If the phones is already on VZW I don't think it's possible to flash it to their prepaid service. However I believe Boost Mobile, Metro PCS and Cricket are all valid options.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk 2.

OP
ArykMeyer

ArykMeyer

Reaction score
so think it could be unlocked to the prepay service? honestly the only reason i want verizon prepay is i know the network is reliable. but i wont mind other options, i just want the most reliable of the other options. and if its possible to flash to lets say cricket, have any clue at all where the instructions are how to do it? i've done searching and have only seen its possible but havent found any instructions how to do it except pay services where someone does it remotely. and just to confirm you say it doesnt matter that the esn is bad? the instructions would fix it?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If there is a bad ESN, it's either been stolen or the person who had it didn't pay their bill and will eventually be in collections. That phone ESN will be on the list so you will not be able to put it on VZW or VZW pre-pay at all. This I know for fact.

Scimino

Reaction score
Yeah, Vulcan is right. People mainly sell phones with bad esn's for parts. I hear that a phone flashed to metro is difficult theses days. You have to get the service provider to add the esn to their network, which is a bad esn.

Sent from my XT875 using DroidForums

nikki_terror

Reaction score
so i bought a droid eris from ebay and i only pay verizon $50 a month for unlimited everything oddly enuff 3g still works if i dont renew my plan but anyways i recently bought a droid a855 and was wondering how to get that same thing as my eris so i can port my number i know its possible i just dont know how any ideas?

phoneguru1177

Reaction score
Okay so here is the thing, if a phones ESN is locked you are unable to unlock it on verizon wireless unless the original owner unlocks it. With this being said you are unable to activate the device on any type of V
erizon Wireless account. With regards to the $50.00 Unlimited Talk, Text and Web plan this is not a option for any type of smartphone on Verizon's Pre-Paid. You have to select a calling plan that starts off at 450min and goes all the way up to "Unlimited" , you have the option of adding a text message package or can subscirbe to unlimited with you calling plan. The Data package is a flat $29.99 for unlimited data as of right now. Monthly you would be looking at about $95.00 with 450 min , Text package and Data. The $50.00 package is only available for non smartphones such as simple feature phones , this is all accurate information because I work for verizon wireless.

zdrisko

Reaction score
Root, unlock, change device ID. Theres always ways around Big Red.

burner415

Reaction score
alltel version of X2

I would like to put it on page plus but I cant get my mms messages can someone tell me how to fix it

Lolee71

Reaction score
Okay so here is the thing, if a phones ESN is locked you are unable to unlock it on verizon wireless unless the original owner unlocks it. With this being said you are unable to activate the device on any type of V
erizon Wireless account. With regards to the $50.00 Unlimited Talk, Text and Web plan this is not a option for any type of smartphone on Verizon's Pre-Paid. You have to select a calling plan that starts off at 450min and goes all the way up to "Unlimited" , you have the option of adding a text message package or can subscirbe to unlimited with you calling plan. The Data package is a flat $29.99 for unlimited data as of right now. Monthly you would be looking at about $95.00 with 450 min , Text package and Data. The $50.00 package is only available for non smartphones such as simple feature phones , this is all accurate information because I work for verizon wireless.

I have my droid x2 on the 80.00 a month prepaid verizon plan. This is unlimited calls unlimited pix/txt and 2gb of 3g internet. My phone works just as good on prepaid for 80.00 a month as it did on a verizon contract for roughly 250.00 a month.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid Forums

coder865

Reaction score
I have my droid x2 on the 80.00 a month prepaid verizon plan. This is unlimited calls unlimited pix/txt and 2gb of 3g internet. My phone works just as good on prepaid for 80.00 a month as it did on a verizon contract for roughly 250.00 a month.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid Forums

I just turned back on my pre-paid Verizon Droid X2, and was informed my phone plan was no longer available, but the $80 plan was. Well, I wish I could have kept my old plan because for about $10 more I had unlimited internet. My new plan has just 2Gb of internet and I love using the built in hotspot, so I really miss the unlimited data.

seanyboy900

Reaction score
yes u can

Motorola's r hard to flash but u can put most any sprint OR VERIZON phone on Verizon prepaid bad esn or not because to flash a phone u need to buy a donor phone most people use a $15 flip phone u can buy at Walmart and that why the esn being good or bad doesn't matter because you have to rewrite the smart phones esn and swap it with the donor phoneesn. That's how flashing works.

seanyboy900

Reaction score
O yea and if u want a new rom on ur flashed rooted phone u can like the other guy said just do a back up. But u should b fine u might have to reconfigure ur mms and that's all but it won't ruin ur flash.

Last edited:

lalea878

Reaction score
Htc dna

Root, unlock, change device ID. Theres always ways around Big Red.
I know how to root a phone...I did not know I can change the ID?? or ESN? It would still be on the phone so I guess this would be a good idea if you planned to keep the phone verses selling it? Advice appreciated (o:
Laura