bad day found the eris in the washing machine

jfrench101

Reaction score
is there any hope what so ever at all?? Took the battery out and several screws but does anyone know how to totally disassemble the eris so I can dry it out?? I'm guessing this is gonna be expensive.

AndroidNoob

Reaction score
Maybe try sticking it in a jar of rice? Supposed to suck all the moisture away.

OP
J

jfrench101

Reaction score
thanks for the links,, no we didn't buy the insurance because we are idiots but we have had cell phones for years and I swear this is the first time this has happened. Finally got it totally disassembled and dried out as best we could with a hairdryer set on cool and low. Don't know when I will get brave enough to put the battery back in and try it. This blows, I really liked the thing..

OP
J

jfrench101

Reaction score
update,,
Success, the Eris can survive a trip in the washing machine. Looks like the only damage was to the battery. When we first tried to turn it on it was dead but then we plugged it in to the charger and it booted right up. It doesn't seem to hold a charge for long but every thing else seems to be working fine. There was so much water in the phone that it looked like a fish take behind the screen...lol, so far so good...

lowtech

Reaction score
update,,
Success, the Eris can survive a trip in the washing machine. Looks like the only damage was to the battery. When we first tried to turn it on it was dead but then we plugged it in to the charger and it booted right up. It doesn't seem to hold a charge for long but every thing else seems to be working fine. There was so much water in the phone that it looked like a fish take behind the screen...lol, so far so good...

The gadget gods must be watching over you! Happy for you!! :icon_ banana:

cuskit

Reaction score
You should have just left it through the rinse cycle, and then moved it to the dryer same as your clothing. Would have come out all shiny - just like new! ;)

I'm so happy it works! Of course, I won't be trying the same with my Droid. A little dirt on it is fine with me! LOL! Yea - I knew you didn't do it on purpose! <chuckle>

Take the battery to your VZW store and ask for a replacement. If they give you one, you can just call it a "wash"! ;) Hee hee!
cuskit

jal3223

Reaction score
Awesome news, glad you got it working. Was it very difficult taking it apart, wondering because mine has a gap between the screen and side so if dust accumulates maybe I can clean it myself.

riffdex

Reaction score
update,,

Suggestion: Start paying for insurance on the phone. I assume that insurance can be ordered even if you have not been paying it from the beginning (maybe I'm wrong). Even if you ordered insurance today and a week later, it stops working (due to this same water damage), it can't be hard for Verizon to look at your usage and see that you were using your phone in between the time you ordered the insurance and the time you filed a claim (proving that you did not just order the insurance once you damaged your phone). Personally, I dropped my phone in a toilet once. After a week of drying out, it started working again! I was ecstatic. A week after that and it stopped turning on (I assume due to the same problem). All I'm saying is, even though it started working again, it still could stop working again very soon.

I realize this thread is quite old, I'm hoping this information will be helpful to somebody though :)