1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Bad Block Error PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by saiven, Feb 12, 2010.

1. saiven

saiven New Member

Ok
    So I downloaded the SMupdater from the market and thought i would try it out.

I ran it, rooted and when i went to FLASH the RECOVERY image it looks like its working then stops and says

:icon_eek: AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED! :icon_eek:
    :icon_evil: mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00160000 :icon_evil:

What should I do???
    I just got the phone like a week ago...

I have searched google and this forum and have not found anything.
    I have tried installing BB but when i try to install SPRecovery using terminal is says almost the same thing and is in same block error.

I really love the :motdroidhoriz: and wanna make the most of it.
    i started using Roms with the samsung Omnia

PLEASE HELP

Thank you kindly
  2. hayaku

hayaku New Member

just went through this with a friend's phone. there's a bad block in your recovery partition.

we were lucky in that flashing sprecovery to that partition finally worked. we just kept on trying to do this manually - no rhyme or reason why it would've gotten past the bad block, but it did.

smupdater doesn't have all the logic in it necessary to figure out which steps needs to be done and what hasn't yet. so i would recommend doing this manually.

follow the bugless beast step by step guide. chances are you already have root. you will need to get flash_image installed and manually flash the recovery img file in. just follow those steps.

once done with that, you can download the sholes rom tgz file you want and put it on the card. reboot and hold x to get into sprecovery menu. go to install and select rom on sd card. from there, you will get the installation screens and menus from the sholes script and once it's done, you are good to go.

good luck with getting past the bad block. we did this using adb on the computer, not on the droid alone just because it was easier to type...
  3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Got your answer above. If I knew I had a bad block, methinks I might be thinking about a new phone. The problem is how do you tell vzw that you found a bad block doing something "illegal".

Craig
  4. jhietter

jhietter New Member

I know this is an old topic but thought I would add my experience in case anyone else runs into this. I was having issues with the Data wipe, so I used adb via sdk to do a wipe (had never done this before). When I formatted DATA, it told me I had 2 bad blocks and 1 for CACHE.

So today I went to VZW at lunch. I told them that there were bad blocks on the data partition & said "Don't ask me how I know". I had restored to stock condition, so I was going to stick to that story. The guy didn't really give me a hard time - he just gave me a replacement (refurb). I just formatted all partitions and got no errors (woohoo).

My only concern is whether or not this constant wiping and rom'ing can create bad blocks. I don't know if my phone came with them or if I did it.
  5. brokali

brokali New Member

My second Droid came with bad vblocks same sector one on system one on data I found them when doing an adb format...wonder if that's why clockwork recovery always fails to load the picture and just gives me a could not load PNG file
Search tags for this page
bad block at 0x1b1e0000 ret 1
galaxy nexus bad block
mtd: not erasing bad block at

mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00060000

when writing recovery it shows bad block at 0x003a0000