Bad battery life....

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid MAXX' started by tommy1984, Nov 24, 2013.

1. tommy1984

tommy1984 New Member

I seem to be the only hone having battery issues from my phone.. I here of people getting 2-3 days out of theirs. I dont use mine to watch viedo, I dont listen to music, I keep data turned off and keep wifi off unless I need to check my mail/download a app or something. but normally by the end of the day im at 10% or less on my battery. It seems to lose about 1% an hour just sitting idle on my desk. I have battery saver turned on and only have 2 games on the phone (angry birds and temple run) this is my first real smart phone so I might not have something set right... Any ideas?
  2. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

1% an hour is normal. How is your signal strength?
  3. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Member

Check to see what else is running by using the built-in battery utility, or 3rd party battery utility. Usually, it's something that you don't need all the time or even at all.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.
  4. tommy1984

tommy1984 New Member

Signal isnt the best but cell stand by is only showing it used about 2% of whats been used.. I dont understand how people are going 3 days without charging.. yesterday at about 15 hours my phone was all but dead. I had 1hr and 30 mins of screen time on it and 36 mins of voice calls. the rest of the time it was just sitting on my desk or in my pocket. Are there any settings I need to check in the phone?
  5. bkdodger

bkdodger DF Super Moderator Staff Member

You should get GSAM battery monitor to see if any app is causing excessive drain ...Also cell signal is number one cause if bad spots. .This app will tell you percentage of signal strength as well ..If you get on wifi it will save on battery ..so it's possible those people getting that much are on wifi ..4G drains faster ..

N3 tapa
    2 people like this.
  6. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

Something doesn't add up. If you say you're losing 1% per hour in standby (in your first post), that's only 15% in 15 hours. If your phone was almost dead in 15 hrs with only 1.5 hrs of screen time, that means over 80% of battery in 90 minutes of screen time. That's CRAZY! I've never ever heard of anything like that. Usually if it's an app problem it shows up as something constantly running in the background and causing the battery to run down during standby time, not during screen on time.
  7. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Could also be signal levels nearby making the phone constantly search for towers. Other possibilities as well.

Do screen shot of your battery consumption and also tap the graph at the typo and do a screen shot of the full screen graph chart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  8. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Member

You don't need GPS unless you're navigating, in a vehicle, or if you're charging. Wifi should be off unless you are going to be hooked up to a wifi source. Do you have any email programs? They shouldn't be updating all that frequently.

9. FoxKat

Actually having WIFI on all the time helps with location based apps and features. It uses the WIFI signals it "sees" along the way as sort of "landmarks", and by triangulating them along with Cell towers and GPS actually enhances the location feature's accuracy.

If you don't want WIFI on all the time, download and install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cprados.wificellmanager&hl=en (Wi-Fi Matic). It allows the phone to turn off and on WIFI when you are leaving from and returning to known and usable WIFI connections. It's completely intelligent. All you do is run it, then when you connect to new WIFI hot spots, it remembers them and the next time you're near them it turns on WIFI automatically, and then turns it off again when you leave.

GPS is also helpful for many apps and websites in order to give you more relevant information based on your location. I keep GPS on all the time and still get more than a day out of the phone's battery.
    1 person likes this.
  10. MotoXGirl

MotoXGirl New Member

I would LOVE to lose a percent an hour... hahaha Mine dies in about 8 -10 hrs. lol
    1 person likes this.
  11. FoxKat

Yeah, I'm totally thrilled with my MAXX< but couldn't get through a day with the S4. Of course, if you use it constantly like someone I know... :icon_ laughup: , it's bound to go "UGH!!!" and die. :rofl3:
  12. MotoXGirl

MotoXGirl New Member

Yep... LOL

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
  13. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

If your X dies in 8 to 10 hours, you must be using it (screen on) just about the entire time!
    1 person likes this.
  14. MotoXGirl

MotoXGirl New Member

Yes I use it a little. Lol

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  15. morcguy

morcguy Member

With a properly set up and functioning MAXX you should be able to leave WiFi gps and Bluetooth on all the time and still have a big charge at the end of the day

Jeff
    1 person likes this.
  16. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Member

Mostly true, but it depends on how much use those features are used. My battery gets HEAVY use, as my Maxx is my 'everything' device in my truck, at my job. Plugged into power proves to be a VERY slow process of recharging.

17. quizzard

quizzard New Member

You need to make sure your charger puts at 1A at the very least.
  18. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

Simple math. If your charger puts out 1 amp and your phone is fully discharged, it will take 3.5 hours to fully charge it as the battery is 3500ma = 3.5 amps. If your charger puts out 700mah it will take 5 hours to charge it.

I've yet to fully discharge the phone. And I use it a lot(6+ hours of screen time throughout the day). Could probably do 8 hours of screen time on a charge, that's amazing on a smartphone.

Edit: went down to 4% today, was out of country whole day roaming while on wifi when I could, taking lots of pics and videos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to see another smartphone come close!
  19. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Member

Solved my charging problem by plugging the adapter directly into the cigarette outlet. Bad extension y splitter

20. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Something you're all seeming to forget..your battery life is heavily dictated by your signal... I have terrible 4g by my house and I can almost kill this battery with normal use, in a day....but in a better signal area...it lasts and lasts...

MAXXED OUT!!!
Search tags for this page
droid maxx bad standby time

motorola droid x battery

motorola moto x draing battery 2 percent per hour without an
motorola v3m weak signal causing battery problem