Backups - why bother?

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
If the only thing we're backing up is apk files, why bother? I can make copies of photos and videos direct to the computer. But if you can't backup data, what's the point? Is there any backup software out there that will back up the apk files AND the data that app creates?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I believe there are apps that required root that do that, but I don't think non root apps can access that data to back it up.

I have noticed when setting up my last couple of phones that backing up app data to google like it offers does seem to save login information for a few apps. I'm betting some or most of that ability is the responsibility of the individual app developers.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google has been doing a better job with this actually. Many apps you can save its data to Google drive. Then when you restore it will restore the data. Sadly it seems buggy compared to apps like Tibu and mybackup pro, which have been doing this flawlessly since 2010.

When I restored my data through Google, some apps I ended up having to wipe and just sign back in. Thankfully many apps now save your data to their cloud backups making backup apps not as needed anymore.

If you are rooted Tibu still works, just make sure busybox is updated and the settings are set correct.

You can also use mybackuppro and not require root but will have to pay for the pro version.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JandN2639

Reaction score
We use Dropbox and a related app. They copy everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I have Mybackup Pro but, again, doesn't back up data.

Dropbox saves data too??

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Just checked the play store. It seems that every backup app that backs up data as well as apps requires root. Oh well. You'd think that wouldn't be such a complicated operation.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just checked the play store. It seems that every backup app that backs up data as well as apps requires root. Oh well. You'd think that wouldn't be such a complicated operation.
I get the feeling it has to do with security. The way apps are in a sort of sandbox, you need root for third party apps to access & backup their data.

I find that Google's backup abilities are better every time I do a reset or get a new device. I don't have to login or setup some apps to my preferences. Seems to be dependent on the developer of each app though...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I just backup pictures and such, let samsung and google backup most of the other stuff. what I don't get, I install myself.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I get the feeling it has to do with security. The way apps are in a sort of sandbox, you need root for third party apps to access & backup their data.

I find that Google's backup abilities are better every time I do a reset or get a new device. I don't have to login or setup some apps to my preferences. Seems to be dependent on the developer of each app though...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You are exactly right it's all about security... Even though not ALL of the apps have data that needs to be kept "secure" it is still "hidden" in the root of the device storage.

Also as you have said developers are starting to distinguish better between what data needs to be protected and what doesn't which helps Google be able to back up more of the data.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
You are exactly right it's all about security... Even though not ALL of the apps have data that needs to be kept "secure" it is still "hidden" in the root of the device storage.

Also as you have said developers are starting to distinguish better between what data needs to be protected and what doesn't which helps Google be able to back up more of the data.

but should it be the developers that make the decision as to what data needs protection. IMO, It should be the user.