Backups - why bother?

Discussion in 'Samsung General Discussions' started by Bluesman2008, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008 Active Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung GS5
    If the only thing we're backing up is apk files, why bother? I can make copies of photos and videos direct to the computer. But if you can't backup data, what's the point? Is there any backup software out there that will back up the apk files AND the data that app creates?

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I believe there are apps that required root that do that, but I don't think non root apps can access that data to back it up.

I have noticed when setting up my last couple of phones that backing up app data to google like it offers does seem to save login information for a few apps. I'm betting some or most of that ability is the responsibility of the individual app developers.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

3. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,157
    Google has been doing a better job with this actually. Many apps you can save its data to Google drive. Then when you restore it will restore the data. Sadly it seems buggy compared to apps like Tibu and mybackup pro, which have been doing this flawlessly since 2010.

When I restored my data through Google, some apps I ended up having to wipe and just sign back in. Thankfully many apps now save your data to their cloud backups making backup apps not as needed anymore.

If you are rooted Tibu still works, just make sure busybox is updated and the settings are set correct.

You can also use mybackuppro and not require root but will have to pay for the pro version.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. JandN2639

JandN2639 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    We use Dropbox and a related app. They copy everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk