Backup

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by tehpriest, Mar 20, 2010.

1. tehpriest

tehpriest Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What I want to backup is the settings (email ect.) installed apps, free and paid for, data from the SD card and the way I have things laid out if that is possible. I have read a few threads where people have had to do factory resets due to bad apps or crashes and do not wan't to be in the position of having to start all over again from scratch, or if the SD gets corrupted I do not lose all my data.. I know I am lazy and it is half the fun but there you go. My previous handset had a PC program that backed everything up to a file on the PC and then you used the PC to restore if needed.

2. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    You **should** be able to get SPRecovery on your phone and do a Nandroid backup. If your phone gets jacked, you can use it to restore to the way it was when you backed up.

I'm not sure what the process is for the Milestone to get SPRecovery working, but it looks like some people over at alldroid have been able to do it.

3. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Data on the sdcard you can copy to your computer if you'd like. Any app you pay for is paid. Google knows this so even if you switch phones you still have access to it and don't have to pay for it again. Astro will back up all the install files to your card so you can easily reinstall them all again if need be.

The only thing you might have problems restoring, with a stock phone, is how things are layed out. Rooting will let you do that though.

Nandroid restore with sprecovery: If you root your phone you can install sprecovery. You can't flash new roms. If you back up your own current settings into a rom I don't know if it you can restore it. The Stone only will flash a signed rom and I don't know if what you back up, having originally been signed, will still be signed.

The test would be to root, install sprecovery, backup, then try to restore. If not then decide if you want to unroot or go from there.

4. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Good call, I hadnt thought about that. I'm betting it takes the signatures with it, but that's just an undereducated guess.