Backup what works?

bogginblazer

Reaction score
Looking for a app back up for data and the app that supports the razr can any one help and yes im rooted. Want to tri out the new th3ory rom

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
My Backup Pro. Backs up to SD data,media and applications.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Only wish game/app data could be backed up dependably for those of us that play around with roms and such

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums

sadlsor

Reaction score
My backup pro has always crashed and hasn't worked for me. I always use Titanium Backup and highly recommend it!!! :)

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

Still searching; can I restore apps to my Razr from my Droid X SD card? Don't need data but could sure be helpful to avoid d/l 50 apps again. I DO have a Titanium Pro backup on that DX card...
And I can't find my darn registration number for Ti-Pro I bought a year ago.
Shoot.

Forgot to mention: both phones rooted.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Still searching; can I restore apps to my Razr from my Droid X SD card? Don't need data but could sure be helpful to avoid d/l 50 apps again. I DO have a Titanium Pro backup on that DX card...
And I can't find my darn registration number for Ti-Pro I bought a year ago.
Shoot.

Forgot to mention: both phones rooted.

If the APKs are on the SD Card, it's simply a matter of using a file manager and going into the card and selecting the apps and they'll install. There are plenty of apps on the market, Easy Installer, AppInstaller, APK Installer, etc. and they will search the SD card for any APKs, display them and allow you to select either one or many and will do batch installs.

Last edited:

sadlsor

Reaction score
Thanks,FoxKat. I will try that now.
...imagine that. All I had to do was ask the right question!

Blossom151

Reaction score
What about the nonrooted chickens/dummies(I'm speaking for myself)...and what is really saved on the SD cards ne way...I just switch from 16 to 32 without doing ne thing except unmounting and everything is still on the phone(other than pics which I know are on other SD card)

sadlsor

Reaction score
If the APXs are on the SD Card, it's simply a matter of using a file manager and going into the card and selecting the apps and they'll install.

Unfortunately, looking through the backed up folders and files from the DroidX (backups copied to Razr SD card), there do not appear to be any SDK files.
Guess we'll go back to manual download again.
Thanks for the idea, though.

sadlsor

Reaction score
What about the nonrooted chickens/dummies(I'm speaking for myself)...and what is really saved on the SD cards ne way...I just switch from 16 to 32 without doing ne thing except unmounting and everything is still on the phone(other than pics which I know are on other SD card)

Blossom, my understanding is that nearly everything will default to install in the phone memory, NOT the external / removable SD card. That is one reason many of these users advocate using an app that allows you to specify where new apps are downloaded to, or where they run from.
Sadly, I don't recall which apps those are, ....is Titanium Backup Pro one such? Check it on Google first to see if it does what you need before you d/l.

And tell your hubby - thanks for serving our country!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Unfortunately, looking through the backed up folders and files from the DroidX (backups copied to Razr SD card), there do not appear to be any SDK files.
Guess we'll go back to manual download again.
Thanks for the idea, though.

Don't mean to question your search results, but it's not the SDK files you'd be looking for - it's the APKs. APK files contain all the necessary files/folders to recreate the entire application on the new phone. Unless Titanium Backup Pro either saves the files with a different naming convention (such as changing APK to BAK for instance) in which case you'd simply change whatever the name is after the "." back to APK. Otherwise, if Titanium Backup Pro compresses the backup into a single zipped file, again unzipping it may allow you to obtain access to the original APKs. Finally if it encrypts all backups (I see encryption mentioned but it doesn't say ALL backups are encrypted, just that it's a "feature"), then you're stuck until you either find your Pro version software key or buy another one, and then you better remember the encryption key as well.

I use Appmonster and it backs up all APKs so that with a simple click on the APK, I can reinstall it. It also allows you to keep earlier versions of programs so that if you need to go back to see if a problem is related to a new update you can.

sadlsor

Reaction score
No problem, ...really! Question my search results...question my sanity!
You are correct, I am not looking for Software Development Kits. Nonetheless, I just (re-) downloaded ES File Explorer, and looked on /mnt/sdcard-ext and none of the folders there show any APK files. So I don't truly know how Ti-Pro backed them up. Those are the backup folder locations, the folders are there, and I can see them from the pc as well, when connected.
Just can't do anything with them, due no doubt, to my ignorance which I'm gradually overcoming.
Looks like I'll end up deleting all my backup folders as I continue to replace my apps from Market.

sadlsor

Reaction score
If the APXs are on the SD Card, it's simply a matter of using a file manager and going into the card and selecting the apps and they'll install. There are plenty of apps on the market, Easy Installer, AppInstaller, APK Installer, etc. and they will search the SD card for any APKs, display them and allow you to select either one or many and will do batch installs.
OK, looks like I'm getting somewhere, and overcoming my ignorance "one app at a time."
Although ES File Manager does not find ANY APK nor APX files, I do see the apps, and now can use Easy Installer to re-install an app. Once I figure out how I did it (I was concentrating on trying to extract something....), I'll do it some more.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Was wondering myself what tibu was doing with app backups, was used to astro backing up apps as full apk's that could easily be reinstalled or moved to another device but couldn't find any tibu backup files that looked usable for anything other than tibu

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, looks like I'm getting somewhere, and overcoming my ignorance "one app at a time."
Although ES File Manager does not find ANY APK nor APX files, I do see the apps, and now can use Easy Installer to re-install an app. Once I figure out how I did it (I was concentrating on trying to extract something....), I'll do it some more.

Well the "apps" you were able to reinstall with Easy Installer had to be APK files. Perhaps TBU simply strips the suffix from the filename.