1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

backup questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by papatar, Aug 6, 2010.

1. papatar

papatar New Member

i've done a nandroid backup thru SPR and also with titanium and have a few questions
    -is it overkill to do both
    -after loading my 'update.zip' for a newer version of sapphire, i did a restore thinking it would bring back all my apps but it also took me back to the older version of sapphire and undid my update. how do you do a restore without affecting the new update
    -do i have to do a cache wipe before loading a new theme or kernal or whatever or is that only necessary when loading a new rom. i want to try out watermark'd and black ice
    -simple backup thru SPR goes very smooth but when trying to do an advanced backup, i cant get past the request for a prefix. im not sure what they want
    thanks
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

-Definitely not overkill, it never hurts to have backups of backups. (unless you're running low on SD space)
    -Use TI to restore "Apps and app data"
    -It isn't necessary to wipe cache before flashing a theme
  3. papatar

papatar New Member

thanks for the quick response. i just tried to flash watermark'd thru SPR. some of the icons have changed but i can't find any evidence that i'm actually using watermark'd. maybe i need to try the process again
  4. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

Did you check in the about phone settings? Go home, press menu > settings > about phone
  5. papatar

papatar New Member

no, i didn't think of that but i did just look and see nothing about which theme i might have
  6. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

Well, did your phone theme like it was supposed to? If not, try it out with black ice.
  7. papatar

papatar New Member

no, its like i only got part of it. i'm going to try it again and do black ice. thanks again for your help
  8. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

If that doesn't work, go ahead and try wiping your cache. It won't hurt.. You definitely do not need to wipe data, which is really what the majority of important stuff is contained in.
  9. papatar

papatar New Member

i really didn;t want to wipe data if i didn't need to. i want to try out several things but don;t want to go thru all the hassle each time until i learn to use titanium to restore.
  10. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

Data isn't really needed unless you're going from one version (2.1) to another (2.2) and so on. Its a good idea, and sometimes needed, to wipe data when going between roms of the same version, but not always required...
    Titanium is a great tool to restore apps, which is really all you'd need to restore when wiping data. Google sync should take care of the rest, such as contacts.. To restore apps with TI, press menu > batch > and run the "restore missing apps with data"
  11. papatar

papatar New Member

thanks. there it is just like you said it would be. i'm learning a little more each day
  12. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

No problem, glad I could help!
    If you use Gtalk, feel free to IM me with any questions you have.. deafleppy@gmail.com
  13. papatar

papatar New Member

so when backing up i hit ' backup all user apps and system data' and when restoring i hit ' restore missing apps with data'?

thanks. i just sent the post as you were inviting the IM.
  14. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

I don't normally backup system data, just all user apps. I'm not sure if restoring the system data would cause the rom to "glitch", which is the reason you want to wipe data in the first place.. So all I do is backup all user apps, then just restore user apps with data. That will restore all of your apps, plus any settings you have edited on those apps.
    For example, if you're using HandCent SMS and you've customized the text, background, etc... TI will restore that, so you don't have to go and change the settings again.
  15. papatar

papatar New Member

your patience is amazing