backup question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by justicw, Feb 19, 2010.

1. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK this weekend is the weekend for me to root my phone and try out some of these cool roms everyone is talking about. The question I have though is how do I backup my WHOLE phone so I can go back to what I have NOW if I have issues. I have searched for this and there are several apps that I have seen but the all require root first. What I want to do is have an unrooted image (my current state) that I can fall back on if I absolutly hate my phone after rooting.

Is there an app out there or a way currently to make an image of my phone without rooting? If not what is the VERY BEST WAY (idiot proof lol) to make an image of my phone so that if I screw up I can just put everything back exactly the way it is now??

Can I even get it back to the exact state it is now (apps personality everything)?

2. rotordroid

rotordroid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Most of the rooting "How-To's" I've seen take you through the entire process, including a full Nandroid back-up so you can "unroot" back to stock 2.0.1 whenever and if ever you choose.

3. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen them BUT it says that it restores back to stock NOT current state (at least thats how I took it) If this isn't correct let me know. What I am looking for is like a ghost image on a pc where I can make an image file put it on my pc's hard drive and that way I have a complete backup of my phone in case I screw something up or need to revert back for any reason.

Also I have seen in some of those how to's that you can't go from 2.1 to 2.0.1 without restoring to default.

I guess what I am trying to find out is can I say have three or 4 images on my hard drive and switch back and forth without having losing any of my apps/settings?

4. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +223
    Even if you go completely back to stock as long as you've syncd with google and backed up your settings your apps will be in the market under downloads and some will even reinstall on their own so its no big deal going back to stock. The worst is you will lose your txts and some other things like that. I do believe with astro you can back up all your data and apps so there's an option as well.

5. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think my problem is I'm thinking like a pc. When I think of images I'm thinking that my SD card and phone will be wiped clean is this not the case? will all my data on my SD card still be there even if I root and change roms? Like pictures, movies, MP3's???

6. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    Whenever you wipe data in sprecovery or do a factory data reset your sdcard is untouched.

7. pctaylor

pctaylor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. Just rooted my phone yesterday, sdcard wasn't modified at all.

8. droider4life

droider4life Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you can also use mybackup pro from the market it backsup apps, contacts, texts.. thats what i used and it worked well when i rooted.. i only used the free one also..

9. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well hell that's what I've been scared of for the last two weeks LMAO!! I'm going to start the step by step now.

Does anyone want to chime in on what rom I should use???

10. droider4life

droider4life Member

Ratings:
    +0
    from what i have seen today i think sholes is down for a day or so till they get things straightened out.. but i used sholes night before last and so far its been smooth.. running at 1hz i love it... i was nervous too but its easiest from the market.

11. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    The sholes mod app is gone...will be back as droidmod updater soon they say.....I would go with bugless beast 7.6 or 7.7 is out as well. 7.7 just came out so maybe wait some on that. If its your first rom you can use the update.zip and should work for ya pretty good. Good luck on rooting and ROMing. And don't hesitate to ask questions there is a tremendous amount of help here , but please do some research first. Some do get annoyed with the same questions being asked and have been answered numerous times.

12. jrummy16

jrummy16 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever you do a nandroid advanced backup and select every option to be backed up you make a backup of your phone in the exact state it is in at that moment. If you want to go back to that state you reboot into recovery wipe your phone clean, choose backup/restore, choose advanced restore, select the backup you want, choose every selection, and then restore. When you reboot you will have all your apps and data exactly how it was when you made the backup.

13. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice I have wanted to post for about a week now but didn't because I didn't want to annoy anyone lol. I did read the how too's but I never put 2 and 2 together about how data is stored/recoverd. Again I think it's because I have been looking at this like a PC and I guess I should have been looking at this like a server (OS in one place data in another place). I have spent several months getting this exactly the way I want it lol so I was afraid of losing all my movies (7 gig worth LMAO) MP3's and pictures.

I'm sorry if I have annoyed anyone :) Please be gentle I'm a virgin ROFLMAO:icon_ devil:

14. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    You're fine, just if you have a question do a quick search first. It'll save everyone a little head ache. And besides if some get a little pissy ignore them...you will be pointed in the right direction pretty quick.

15. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0