Backup question

jjd228

Reaction score
Looking for a backup app that can actually do a FULL, BIT-BY-BIT backup of EVERYTHING on the filesystem, in memory etc. I want a TRUE "image" of the system that includes the OS and all settings, apps and all settings etc. Why does this seem so hard to find? For every backup app that exists I see people praising it and others bashing it saying it doesn't work. Either it works or it doesn't. I don't want a half-assed app that will backup "some" settings and not others. Simple question: Does what I'm looking for exist or not?

timrock

Reaction score
you would have to root your phone and use Titanium Backup. MyBackUp Pro will backup your entire phone, if its rooted. if not, it will just backup the apps and their settings.

OP
J

jjd228

Reaction score
you would have to root your phone and use Titanium Backup. MyBackUp Pro will backup your entire phone, if its rooted. if not, it will just backup the apps and their settings.

Thanks. Mybackup has a paid "pro" version and a free "root" version. What is the difference? Yes I have root access to my phone.

timrock

Reaction score

Thanks. Mybackup has a paid "pro" version and a free "root" version. What is the difference? Yes I have root access to my phone.
then you should be able to backup your entire phone. the root version is for rooted phones and will do what you need.

i would suggest titanium backup.

OP
J

jjd228

Reaction score

then you should be able to backup your entire phone. the root version is for rooted phones and will do what you need.

i would suggest titanium backup.

I just got done reading 100 reviews of Titanium Backup where people complain that it doesn't backup everything. Apparently it gets "some" of your apps but none of their settings, and a bunch of other random stuff that it doesn't do. If that's the case then this isn't a true image and I don't want to learn the hard way when I need to do a restore.

timrock

Reaction score
I just got done reading 100 reviews of Titanium Backup where people complain that it doesn't backup everything. Apparently it gets "some" of your apps but none of their settings, and a bunch of other random stuff that it doesn't do. If that's the case then this isn't a true image and I don't want to learn the hard way when I need to do a restore.

then try mybackup root. i mean, you can install both, do a backup and see which one works for you. i have both TB and MyBackup installed. I recently did a restore with Mybackup Pro (not root) and it restored my entire image. The app recognized that i was rooted and asked if i wanted to back up the entire system, or just the apps and data. the choice is yours.

then there is also Droid Bootstrap Recovery. I use this for backups as well. Now this, i believe, backs up the entire phone.

OP
J

jjd228

Reaction score

then try mybackup root. i mean, you can install both, do a backup and see which one works for you. i have both TB and MyBackup installed. I recently did a restore with Mybackup Pro (not root) and it restored my entire image. The app recognized that i was rooted and asked if i wanted to back up the entire system, or just the apps and data. the choice is yours.

then there is also Droid Bootstrap Recovery. I use this for backups as well. Now this, i believe, backs up the entire phone.

ok cool. But have you ever actually tried a restore? When you say Droid Bootstrap Recovery backs up the entire phone, are you saying that Mybackup does not?

timrock

Reaction score

ok cool. But have you ever actually tried a restore? When you say Droid Bootstrap Recovery backs up the entire phone, are you saying that Mybackup does not?

i have done restores with both mybackup and bootstrap. both restored the phone to the way i customized it.

mybackup pro - if the phone is not rooted, it will not back up the entire phone. if the phone is rooted, it will detect this, and ask you if you wish to back up the entire system. when you do a restore, it will ask you what type of restore do you want to do? app and data, only apps, or system.

both have worked flawlessly for me.

OP
J

jjd228

Reaction score
Thanks then last question is... What is the difference between the pro and root versions? I don't get it. The root version is free so it must NOT do something that the pro version can do, right?

timrock

Reaction score
Thanks then last question is... What is the difference between the pro and root versions? I don't get it. The root version is free so it must NOT do something that the pro version can do, right?
now that, i can not answer, because i never downloaded the root version.

xliderider

Reaction score
If you are rooted, install Bootstrapper and make a backup using Clockwork Mod Recovery included in Bootsrapper. Then go to your sd card and copy the backup file(s) in Clockworkmod/Backup to a safe place. :)

Doing a Restore in CWM Recovery will get you back everything, apps, settings, homescreens, etc.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
If you are rooted, install Bootstrapper and make a backup using Clockwork Mod Recovery included in Bootsrapper. Then go to your sd card and copy the backup file(s) in Clockworkmod/Backup to a safe place. :)

Doing a Restore in CWM Recovery will get you back everything, apps, settings, homescreens, etc.

+1...

If I am not mistaken titanium backup will not put your settings/apps/homescreen and backround back into place. The only way to truly save EVERYTHING EXACTLY how you want it is to do a back up in bootstrapper. If you are using adw you can also lock your screen as well as back up your settings. I have locked the screen but I haven't tried a backup yet.

xliderider

Reaction score
Launcher Pro will also let you do a Backup and Restore for the Homescreen settings, but it won't fully restore widgets, you still need to trash and replace all widgets on your screens following the restore.

xliderider

Reaction score
From another forum, but relevant to this discussion:

This is supposedly the equivalent of Desktop Manager for Blackberry, but the Android version, if you will:

Mobisynapse

However, you will need to have ADB (Android Debug Bridge) working on your computer. ADB is part of the Android SDK (Software Development Kit):

Android SDK | Android Developers

How to install Android SDK - Android Forums

You don't have to worry about the ADB shell commands, you just need to get ADB installed and the correct drivers installed so that MobiSynapse can do it's thing.

Hmmm, I just did a MobiSynapse backup on my X and realized that it just backs up, Apps, Files, Contacts, and SMS, but doesn't backup the system files.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well maybe on the X. I know it didn't work that way on the D2.