Backup Galaxy Nexus before unlocking bootloader?

keithsmith22

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a way to backup my Galaxy Nexus before unlocking the bootloader? I haven't had time until now to unlock it and in the meantime I have taken pictures, loaded apps and gotten information I would like to keep stored on the phone. Can someone please help? TIA

prowler85

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I don't think there's a way to do a backup (nandroid or cwm) without unlocking the bootloader AND putting on a recovery. Don't really think you'd need to though. There's absolutely no issues in unlocking the bootloader or putting on the recovery, as far as I know. I unlocked right away to get my Titanium Backup to work, restored apps and did all my setup, then put on ROM Manager and installed the recovery. THEN I did a backup.

I'll wait to do any custom ROM's or installs, but it's nice knowing I have it there.

prowler85

Reaction score
BACKUP YOUR SDCARD FOLDER !!! Unlocking the device will wipe everything.

That must depend on how you do it then. Don't remember the exact method I followed, but it definitely did not wipe everything. I did unlock pretty much first thing, so there wasn't much on the sdcard partition, but what was there was still there after I unlocked.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
What method did you use cause all the methods for unlocking your GN so far are wiping the storage ( Pics , Music etc. )

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I was wondering if there was a way to backup my Galaxy Nexus before unlocking the bootloader? I haven't had time until now to unlock it and in the meantime I have taken pictures, loaded apps and gotten information I would like to keep stored on the phone. Can someone please help? TIA

You could just backup all your pictures to your computer. The apps will restore from the market, but I don't think there is a way to save settings without root.

BACKUP YOUR SDCARD FOLDER !!! Unlocking the device will wipe everything.

Are you sure? I know when you do a reset it leaves your sd folder, but when you unlock, I think everything goes byebye... :)

Hugg727

Reaction score
I had asked this in the Help forum as well.....but since you guys are discussing I will re-post here...thanks

[h=2]Noob Rooting question...[/h]
I have an IT background and a Computer Science degree but this is my first Android phone. So far I am in love with the Nexus and ICS. From what I have read online and in the forums, there is sooooo much more that we will be able to do with our new phones.

I want to root using the easy method that sbenson posted in the sticky but I have 1 question. I currently love how I have all of my widgets and my background setup . I have everything backing up through my Google account so after I root, will it restore how my phone currently looks (home screen, background, etc) or will I have to re-do that?

Thanks​

jleeusa

Reaction score
No. It wipes everything, see above. As a new user consider it practice and a way to discover more options in your apps an phone. I'm not trying to be condesending, its a good opportunity.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

prowler85

Reaction score
I had asked this in the Help forum as well.....but since you guys are discussing I will re-post here...thanks

Noob Rooting question...

I have an IT background and a Computer Science degree but this is my first Android phone. So far I am in love with the Nexus and ICS. From what I have read online and in the forums, there is sooooo much more that we will be able to do with our new phones.

I want to root using the easy method that sbenson posted in the sticky but I have 1 question. I currently love how I have all of my widgets and my background setup . I have everything backing up through my Google account so after I root, will it restore how my phone currently looks (home screen, background, etc) or will I have to re-do that?

Thanks​

That is one of the reasons I use a homescreen replacement. Since it's an app, it gets backed up as well with Titanium Backup and then is easy to restore. It takes me WAY too long to setup all of my screens. I am currently using Go Launcher EX (free in the market), so it's just a matter of backing up using TB, modding my phone, then re-downloading TB and restoring my apps, and my screen is back exactly as before. Used to have trouble restoring widgets, but that seems to work now.

Or, you could take snapshots of your homescreens and re-set everything up. Uggh.

Hugg727

Reaction score
No offense taken whatsoever, I am here to learn and eventually contribute as well:)

can i do a nandroid backup before I root? and then use Titanium after root?

Hugg727

Reaction score
That is one of the reasons I use a homescreen replacement. Since it's an app, it gets backed up as well with Titanium Backup and then is easy to restore. It takes me WAY too long to setup all of my screens. I am currently using Go Launcher EX (free in the market), so it's just a matter of backing up using TB, modding my phone, then re-downloading TB and restoring my apps, and my screen is back exactly as before. Used to have trouble restoring widgets, but that seems to work now.

So Go Launcher Ex would be my homescreen replacement that can be backed up with TB as an app?

Or, you could take snapshots of your homescreens and re-set everything up. Uggh.

this would be painful

Thanks

prowler85

Reaction score
No offense taken whatsoever, I am here to learn and eventually contribute as well:)

can i do a nandroid backup before I root? and then use Titanium after root?

The problem is you can't do a nandroid until you have a recovery (ClockworkMod Recovery is the only one I know of and works well as always). And you can't put on CWM recovery until you root. So alas, you need to unlock, root, install recovery, re-set up, then do a nandroid, in that order.