Backup before root

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
I really really want to root my phone, but since this method requires the phone to be wiped first and there is no good way to back it up, I haven't.:angry: All my previous phones have gotten rooted, but all previous method we able to be done without wiping the phone. If it was a new phone, no big deal. but now i've had the phone for quite a while and its a huge pain now. :unsure:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I really really want to root my phone, but since this method requires the phone to be wiped first and there is no good way to back it up, I haven't.:angry: All my previous phones have gotten rooted, but all previous method we able to be done without wiping the phone. If it was a new phone, no big deal. but now i've had the phone for quite a while and its a huge pain now. :unsure:

Just wait...the ICS update(OTA) is probably going to wipe your phone anyway. I don't know that there's a solid upgrade path to ICS from GB.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
OTA wipe anyway?

Just wait...the ICS update(OTA) is probably going to wipe your phone anyway. I don't know that there's a solid upgrade path to ICS from GB.

What makes you think that the OTA ICS we are all waiting for will wipe the phone as well.
That is the only reason i have not rooted and ROM'ed yet because i don't want to loose my game data. (Progress, in game purchases, etc.) If it is going to get wiped anyways, what is the point in waiting?
And today the rumor is a June release for ICS.
Thoughts?

Have OTA updates wiped other phones before? HTC? Verizon?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm only guessing because we haven't had a major update yet. I could very well be wrong and I'd like to know what happened with the Vivid in order to gauge what may happen with us.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Vivid problems?

Were there problems with the OTA update for the Vivid? I have looked around online, but the only time i see data wipe is rooting was involved?

Do you think it is worth waiting for the OTA update?
I rooted my old Eris with no problems, and it really sped up the phone. The main reason i want to root is to activate my wifi hot spot without paying monthly, get ICS, as well as getting rid of the bloatware.
I guess i am expecting to root eventually(and loose data sadly), so what would be the benefits of rooting before or after the update?
Which is the most stable ROM. I like sense because it is comfortable, but everyone tells me it is a resource hog. Then i hear 4.0 is lighter? thoughts?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Were there problems with the OTA update for the Vivid? I have looked around online, but the only time i see data wipe is rooting was involved?

Do you think it is worth waiting for the OTA update?
I rooted my old Eris with no problems, and it really sped up the phone. The main reason i want to root is to activate my wifi hot spot without paying monthly, get ICS, as well as getting rid of the bloatware.
I guess i am expecting to root eventually(and loose data sadly), so what would be the benefits of rooting before or after the update?
Which is the most stable ROM. I like sense because it is comfortable, but everyone tells me it is a resource hog. Then i hear 4.0 is lighter? thoughts?

I've been rooted since day 1 and ROM a little too often so I don't remember what it was like to care about the data on my phone. But to answer your questions, worth waiting for the OTA, no. Wifi Hotspot still won't work after rooting, you can use wifi tether but that only allows a single device to connect. Sense on ICS is lighter but honestly just not worth it. I mean if you use the widgets and all then of course it's worth it to you. I don't, so Sense is worthless to me. All of the ICS ROMs are stable at this point, even Newt's One XXX Rom which runs Sense 4. So really it's all about what you want, Sense...Newer Sense...or Senseless..??

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
WiFi Bummer

That is disappointing to hear about the hotspot. WiFi for one device is just PDAnet without the cord. Bummer. I was hoping to use it in my house for Wii and Netflix and wireless printing.
You mention that you don't worry about data on your phone? Do you just not play games often? I don't mean to pry, but i wondered if you have a workaround. I have a number of games I am going to hate to have to start over. (CartoonWars:Gunner Level 197.) (Road Warrior-most unlocked.) I cant imagine starting over again and again.
I really do like the photo widget in particular in Sense, but not sure that is enough of a reason to keep all of sense. I wish someone would come up with a similar app/widget. Its nice seeing all my recent photos on one home screen. Showing off pics of the kids to others. I expect it will come in time.
I appreciate all of your help/knowledge. I've looked to your advice on numerous threads.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, I don't play games on my phone. The only ones that are there are for my kids and they don't care about saves. I have 4 consoles and a gaming rig at home for games. The few games I've played on any mobile aren't really fun for me.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
With a setup like that at home, I can understand how phone games would be a disappointment. All i have is the Wii, and an 8-bit Nintendo, which gets more play than the Wii. So my Rezound is now the best gaming device i have. Thanks again.