Backup Assistant.

kenstar

Reaction score
Um. Who actually uses backup assistant? How can I remove this program? I have root access etc. This isn't one of the required apps you need to get a new ota update, is it? I heard you can select not to install it, but it was already installed on my phone when I got it.

Reaction score
If you remove it, you face serious troubles. That's all I know. Supposedly it's not safe to even freeze it. Thankfully, after I SBFd my phone, I was able to back out of the setup, so it doesn't backup my numbers (Google does that for me), but I've read that if you freeze it, it can crash your phone.

leobg

Reaction score
What happens if you remove it is if you have to do factory reset, you won't be able to pass the initialization wizard and phone will be stuck there.
Workaround for this is to pres search button, search for settings, go in settings, enable debugging, then from ADB interface restore (push if deleted, rename to original name if renamed) the backup assistant apk so it is active in /system/app. Then go thru the wizard again. No need to SBF

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
I've always gotten around initial setup (after a factory reset or whatever) by taping all four corners of the screen (starting at the upper left moving clockwise one at a time) on the first setup screen with the little green android...takes me right to the home screen. Don't know if that's another workaround for Backup Assistant or not. I always did this on my D1 too, when flashing ROM's every other day...don't recall where I read about it.

Edit: I just tried factory reset without backup assistant. Tapping the corners worked! Had to do it a few times (just keep tapping the corners in a clockwise pattern), but eventually got to home screen. It asked me to setup data connection, but had a skip button.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Listicka

Reaction score
I had to do a hard reset because my D2G wasn't turning off even I took the battery out for a while. I guess some app caused the problems. I do constantly try new apps. The Backup Assistant put all my apps back on the D2G even the free ones. And it remembered most of my settings, I had to do just some. You guessed it, I mine is not rooted.

tebower

Reaction score
Google backs up all contact data. Backup assistant is crapware at its needless finest. I have used titanium to freeze the app and its two related services, and it has never caused me any problems. Not sure what the earlier posts were talking about.

Reaction score
Google backs up all contact data. Backup assistant is crapware at its needless finest. I have used titanium to freeze the app and its two related services, and it has never caused me any problems. Not sure what the earlier posts were talking about.

I'm told that if you do a factory reset with backup assistant totally deleted, it causes you to bootloop. Since we have an SBF now, it's no biggie.

Listicka

Reaction score
Thanks for making it clear to me. iMy gmail recovered the contracts as well.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

zero7404

Reaction score
i froze backup assistant using titanium backup pro and so far i havent had any issues on phone functionality. i have gmail, yahoo and facebook accounts running.

i also sync calendar and gmail with google so far have not experienced anything odd ...

posted via android

leobg

Reaction score
Odd things happen if you hard reset the phone without unfreezing the backup assistant first. If you are not doing hard reset, phone will work just fine without the backup assistant

zero7404

Reaction score
Odd things happen if you hard reset the phone without unfreezing the backup assistant first. If you are not doing hard reset, phone will work just fine without the backup assistant

i dont believe a factory restore actually erases and reinstalls the os, it just deletes user specific data.

i too have this and some other apps frozen, recently i did a reset and forgot to defrost first. nothing odd happened though ... strange.

i think a better way to do it is to grab rsd lite 4.9 and the sbf then flash the phone from a pc

posted via android

silver6054

Reaction score

i dont believe a factory restore actually erases and reinstalls the os, it just deletes user specific data.

i too have this and some other apps frozen, recently i did a reset and forgot to defrost first. nothing odd happened though ... strange.

i think a better way to do it is to grab rsd lite 4.9 and the sbf then flash the phone from a pc

posted via android

Yes, I too did a factory reset, pressing the button to begin after the warning that it cannot be stopped, and then thinking "Oh [expletive], I forgot to defrost..." and expected to have to SBF. But, as you said, it worked without an issue. I think I even still had root.

So it's probably just for update that you need to defrost.

zero7404

Reaction score
just to get back to the OP ... is backup assistant a verizon, motorola or android thing?

IF i were ever to use it id like to kno who is babysitting my valuable data ...

posted via android