1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Backup and restore strategy

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DaDroidDude, Jul 17, 2011.

1. DaDroidDude

DaDroidDude New Member

Hi all.

I'm new to rooting my D1. I successfully installed a new ROM last night and am pretty pleased but I need to get the procedure down so I don't lose data.
    I did lose all of my emails in K9 Mail, but they were duplicated on my desktop so no biggie.

My backup strategy on my Palm Pilot is to put the backup app on the external storage card that a newly wiped Palm would recognize and the can restore from previous backups stored on the same card.

So I tried that on the D1. I moved My Backup Pro and Titanium backup to the SD card, wiped the OS and installed a new one.

Unfortunately, it seems that a new OS (ROM) won't "see" apps moved to the card that were moved there by a previous OS.

If that's the case then it seems like the only way is to download those apps from the market or let them get reinstalled when the phone is newly synced with my Google Account.

Can I then restore from a previous ROM's backup?
    When I install a new ROM and activate my phone, which then syncs to my Google account, where does the phone get the info about which apps to restore? It did that automatically with 2 dif ROMs.
    Is it getting that from the backup I did prior to wiping the memory in the nandroid backup?

Thanks
    B
  2. DavidM.

DavidM. New Member

Moving apps to the SD card isn't actually moving them there.

If you backup with TI then all you need to do is download TI on your new ROM then run a restore of apps + app data.

Your phone gets which apps to restore from your Google account sync.
  3. DaDroidDude

DaDroidDude New Member

Ok. I'm confused.

If I move the apps from the phone to the SD card it does free up memory.
    What actually happens if it doesn't physically move the apps to the card?

Thanks
    B
Search tags for this page

toshiba thrive moving apps to sd