Backup and fresh install?

whoisdecoy

Reaction score
Hey there,

Just joined these forums because I was looking for a way to backup my girlfriends droid and do a clean install. It is being a bit buggy, as well as low battery life. So I bought her a new battery which will hopefully fix most issues.

My question is, is there a way to backup all of her pictures, contacts, etc and do a clean system install/update? Should I just hack it for her and have her play with it?

Please, any information is helpful..

Iphone 5 jailbreak will be out this sunday and I will be busy with that unless I figure this out.

Thanks!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
pics are on internal and/or external sd card
connect to pc, look for folder 'dcim' in both internal and external sd cards

I recommend backing up texts and call log with SMS Backup +

a factory data wipe may fix those issues, it will not touch internal or external sd cards
you also can try the sbf factory restore image, but if phone was not rooted it should not be necessary
but it can't hurt to try, just use a fully charged battery before flashing sbf
also a video
SBF with RSD lite. (Back to stock 2.3.4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDjt...e_gdata_player
o
r look @
all-in-one ezSBF DX2 2.3.4
then you can just take over the air update to 2.3.5

edit: also could root, so that you could backup app data with titanium back up pro

OP
W

whoisdecoy

Reaction score
thank you for the prompt help. I made a few quick searches and found other replys by you and they were also helpful. The few other details you elaborated upon made it even more informative and helpful. I am confident that I have enough information after such short time to go through with this. best. forums. ever.

anyways, I was under the impression for a minute that I could use titanium backup on her phone, guess not. (needs to be rooted) SMS Backup does not do contacts correct? But with the factory data wipe, contacts won't be touched anyways? And pictures I will just be able to store on my computer remotely and then transfer back after completion?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
thank you for the prompt help. I made a few quick searches and found other replys by you and they were also helpful. The few other details you elaborated upon made it even more informative and helpful. I am confident that I have enough information after such short time to go through with this. best. forums. ever.

anyways, I was under the impression for a minute that I could use titanium backup on her phone, guess not. (needs to be rooted)
titanium needs root
SMS Backup does not do contacts correct?
correct
But with the factory data wipe, contacts won't be touched anyways?
factory wipe removes contacts, read backing up contacts/
And pictures I will just be able to store on my computer remotely and then transfer back after completion?
if you have space copy everything in both sd cards, but rooting, factory reset and sbf factory restore image, do not touch the sd cards

OP
W

whoisdecoy

Reaction score
Perfect! thank you. I understand it all now. and I have not once been on her phone yet, haha.

I will probably be back in a week or so with questions on how to root, i'll be looking for your help again!

Regards,
Pat

OP
W

whoisdecoy

Reaction score
actually I did see the table of contents and clicked her mobile phone's model number. ill take a look there for cool things to do and info. thanks