Backlight randomly turns on

Royal2000H

Reaction score
I noticed lately that the 4 touch-buttons (back, menu, home, and search) sometimes light up randomly. Could be while charging or not... but I'll look at the phone and they'll flash for a split second.

Maybe even the screen does it too sometimes. I don't remember for sure, but I think I remember that happening.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Never head about the screen flashing, but the buttons and keyboard backlight have been noticed by a number of people since the 2.01 update. Typically going into Menu>settings>sound & display> Brightness. Check the button for Automatic Brightness and then uncheck it again. Press OK, and go back. That seems to take care of the flickering.

OP
Royal2000H

Royal2000H

Reaction score
Never head about the screen flashing, but the buttons and keyboard backlight have been noticed by a number of people since the 2.01 update. Typically going into Menu>settings>sound & display> Brightness. Check the button for Automatic Brightness and then uncheck it again. Press OK, and go back. That seems to take care of the flickering.
Thanks, I'll update if it happens again.

OP
Royal2000H

Royal2000H

Reaction score
OK I also noticed now that before I get a text message in GV:

The 4 keys flash, then the screen flashes, then I get the SMS in Google Voice (vibrate then ring and flashing green LED)

EDIT: My last two texts, the screen did not flash but the rest occurred. Touch-button lights, then vibrate and ring...

EDIT #2: Now it just flashed AFTER receiving the Google Voice SMS. So vibrate, ring, then lights flash.

OP
Royal2000H

Royal2000H

Reaction score
Bump...

If anyone has an answer... I tried JayMonster's suggestion but it doesn't fix it.

I've narrowed it down to when the stock messaging app receives an SMS, the buttons lights (and sometimes the screen) flash. Since my Google Voice messages get sent as SMS to my phone too, the phone sometimes flashes before GV's notification and sometimes after. The stock messaging app has notifications sent to off since I use Google Voice's notifications.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Narrowed it down. Mobile Defense caused this. Since it reads SMS for updates, it's activated everytime there is an SMS. Uninstalling Mobile Defense fixed this problem.