Backing up Roms with Rom manager

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by mike0435, Jul 31, 2010.

1. mike0435

mike0435 New Member

the current rom i have now is cyanogen 6.0 and its backed up using Rom manager (free). What all does this back up? and also if I was too download another rom off the computer to put on SD, would i still be able to back new one Rom and reinstall cyangen again?
  2. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

yes you can backup many many times and you can go back and forth to whatever you are feeling

3. mike0435

mike0435 New Member

thanks for the info. But do u know what all the rom mananger backs up? like does it back up how the home screen is set up and my apps, you know my personal changes?
  4. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn New Member

The backup file will contain everything that's in the unit at that time. You can name a specific rom backup file any way you wish. I use yr mo day and then the roms original name 'bb' for buqgless beast with a day revision letter (example 100731froyobb4). You can go back to that specific rom any time in the future. My older roms I wish to keep I copy using USB cable connection to my network hard drive for safety. :icon_ banana:
  5. mike0435

mike0435 New Member

great thanks. i will check out that rom the next chance i have the time to mess with my phone. hopefully tonght. but will see.
  6. marsha12151

marsha12151 New Member

I am not as technical as most of the folks here but the ROM manager backup acts/looks like a nandroid backup. You cannot take a piece out of it, like an application. It makes a backup of your system as it stands at the time - all apps, look and feel.

Great to have when you screw it up and need something you liked to reload!
  7. mike0435

mike0435 New Member

Can anyone help? Ultimate Droid Rom Issues

Im still learning myself. I found Ultimate Droid Rom on BlackdroidMod web site. Had to register just like post said. Transitions and Animations setting under Ulitmate Droid Settings does not show. Could this be because I didn't wipe it clean? Can anyone help me with this.
  8. Rsswga

Rsswga New Member

rest assure u your Gmail want send mail when restore the Rom from ur backup
    quite useless unless nothing else will work
  9. mike0435

mike0435 New Member

Yes, this is an addition. What r u saying abt gmail? Im thinking I will have to reset and then reinstall UD 5.0. thats the only reason i can come up with to explain why that setting isn't showing. who knows what else im missing. Its been running great even without showing all settings. But I want it to be complete. Im coming from cyanogen 6.0 rom. Like this UD Rom much more.
  10. acepelon

acepelon New Member

Warning- if you are a noob, the following might be helpful. If you are seasoned like Lawry's, you might want to skip this.

It is a nandroid backup meaning that everything that was in memory, all your settings and apps not transferred to your SD card (if you are not sure if your apps are being run from your SD card, then almost 100% they are not so no worries) will be saved. You can install this backup using nandroid restore if you feel like Bugless Beast today and then install from nandroid Jrummy tomorrow if you prefer. You can store as many nandroid backups as your SD card will hold. I suggest making backup copies of your nandroids off of your sd card to your computer but to be honest I stopped doing it because I have never had a problem. I also use Titanium backup because A) the dev is the best- you rock, Joel; B) just in case you want to install/ uninstall pieces at a time or go back to different versions of the apps you have loaded in the past. The reason for that might be that an app lost preferred functionality in an update or you like the look of an older version (Meridian is a good example). That gives you more flexibility when you flash new ROMs that require you to wipe data and cache.

One more item- I am rocking ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning right now and have been for quite some time (over 2 weeks! which is an eternity for me ;-) ) in a large part because of his backup script. As many on DroidForums will attest, flashing ROMs is addictive and I am not alone in saying that often if feels like I have spent more time with my phone in recovery (ie temporarily useless) because I am in the midst of putting a new ROM on. Considering I have probably flashed 100 times and not lost any data ever or been unrecoverable EVER, that is quite a testament to the work the devs have spent getting their tools built well.

Back from the digression, I heartily suggest you go download Chevy's backup script and run it every week because a) it is fast and complete; b) doesn't require a restart of any kind; c) if you ever get into a pickle and have completely lost all of your settings, you can download SS and then do a rstapps -c which will restore everything that the backup script backed up for you. It is pretty awesome. So even if you don't want to use the Simply Stunning ROM from Chevy, using that script as a backup from any ROM is faster than any other backup mechanism, complete, doesn't require a restart, and is written by one of the best ROM/ kernel devs.

Last but not least, it is a limitation (so I've been made to understand) of Android that whenever you backup, no matter how you did it- My Backup Pro, Titanium Backup, Nandroid, whatever- that your widgets will not reappear where you left them and you will have to reload them manually. Your wallpaper, your applications, etc will be fine. For those who don't use many widgets this is no big deal. However, I keep my screen real-estate mostly for widgets because their functionality is wonderful and widgets are a show-off item that some fruity company (jk, I loved my pomme, hated the service) can't do. There are quite a few widgets that I use that have their own backup mechanism for just this reason. Strongly suggest More Icons Widget for aggregating 4 apps/ shortcuts in a single icon space, and it includes said backup feature. This is an inconvenience that regular flashers (hey look at me!) live with.

I hope this was helpful.

acepelon

11. Rsswga

Rsswga New Member

it seems like about half the time I restore from one of my backup Roms, I am not able to send mail on gmail app......it receives it fine but want send..stays in the outbox..
  12. acepelon

acepelon New Member

Go into Applications/ All/ Gmail/ Clear Data. Then re-open Gmail and it will re-sync back. I have had this problem frequently and this has always worked for me.
  13. mike0435

mike0435 New Member

Thanks for all the info. I am currently out of town for gf bday. Will be checking this out soon I am so hooked.
  14. Rsswga

Rsswga New Member

i tried it before with no luck
    today i restored, gmail would send, but no wifi...lol:icon_ banana:

i still say the restore doesnt work at least 80% of the time for me
Search tags for this page
i backed up my rom with rom manager
what does rom control backup?
where do my rom backups get saved twrm
where does rom manager save my back up

where does rom manager store backups

where is rom manafer rom backed up to