Backing up phone data before rooting? (2.1 updated right now)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Pinja, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Pinja

Pinja New Member

OK, is there a way to back up your Droid's data before you root it? I updated to 2.1 normally when the update came out and am about to go through the process of installing SPRecovery and JRummy's mod. I read about doing a Nandroid backup but it says you have to be rooted first and in order to root 2.1 it says you have to do a data/cache wipe (from the walkthrough I'm using). I just want to save my phone numbers/texts mainly.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. artc33

artc33 New Member

phone numbers you'll be able to keep because they are in the gmail "clouds" as they call it. so once you activate your phone again, all you have to do its sign in with your googla accnt and voila. also if you have facebook, once you add the facebook acct, it will give you all of your contacts. unfortunately text are lost no matter what.

you can also try downloading bitpim onto your computer and do a phone sync.
  3. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

When you use the SPRecovery.sbf , from what I understand all it does is install SPRecovery onto your phone. So you can use it to create a backup. And/or....you can root the phone, then use a backup program like Titanium Backup (root) - Android app on AppBrain .
  4. LtKen

LtKen New Member

As stated before, numbers are saved in the cloud, as well as the apps you've purchased or installed and not uninstalled. SMS backup will backup texts. If you're rooted, you can backup with a few other apps...
  5. jwellsy

jwellsy New Member

But do you need to be already rooted to do this?
  6. pearlythepirate

pearlythepirate New Member

Titanium backup needs root for backing up paid apps as far as I know. But it does work wonderfully, so I'd recommend it after you get your phone rooted.

The way I did it was to use AppBrain (an app and matching web site). After you run the app, your whole list of apps is stored on appbrain.com. You can then "copy" all those apps to a "backup" list (you'll see what I mean when you go there). Then, after you root/reflash, you can install AppBrain again, "copy" the list back onto your "Apps on the Phone" list and then the AppBrain app will let you quickly install them.

Kinda roundabout, but it's pretty easy if you only have a couple dozen apps.
  7. merlinsbeard101

merlinsbeard101 New Member

I am also trying to root my phone, and I have 2.1 right now. I dont want to go back to 2.0.1 yet because I don't want to erase all the data from my apps.

For example, I have aCar installed, and it keeps track of my gas mileage, expenses, and things like that. If i go back to 2.0.1, will all of that data be erased?

And if so, if there a something I can do to back up my apps data through an unrooted phone?
  8. Shano

Shano New Member

stock 2.1 root

I did the same exact thing you are trying to to. What I did was flash Sprecovery to my stock 2.1. I then used Astro file manager (Free download from the market, does not need root access) to back up my installed apps. I then installed Jrummy .7 using sprecovery, re-downloaded astro from the market and used it to recover my apps. Worked great for me. Also, if you didnt know all your contacts are stored on your gmail account. You can use your computer to add and edit them and then sync them to your phone. As soon as you sign in to gmail all your contacts sync back to your phone. This was my first time attempting this and I was pretty scared, but it went perfectly smooth for me....oh wait I did have one problem, make sure you name the file on the root of your sd card "update" I named it update.zip the first time and it did not work. I also used sprecovery to make a backup of my stock 2.1 before I tried to install anything. Im new to this myself, but I hope this helps.
    Here are a few links that helped me out Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog - Part 5 Theme Release: JRummy’s Remix Red V.07 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog http://www.droidforums.net/forum/jr...mix-v0-7-cyanmod-5-0-6-2-5-theme-choices.html good luck!

Heres one more good link. Just watch the videos its easy http://www.droid-life.com/2010/04/14/video-installing-a-custom-rom-using-sprecovery/
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  9. Pinja

Pinja New Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I rooted earlier today and am running Jrummy's latest mod. All my contacts were saved and I'm currently tinkering with the settings/apps and tomorrow I'm gonna try and figure out how to really mod this phone to my likings.

Once again thanks for the help everyone :)
Search tags for this page
apps that will save data and software on my phone before i r
backing up android before rooting
can i backup my cellphone app data with rooting?
do i have to root my phone to back it up
how to back up before rooting the phone

how to back up phone before rooting

how to backup an android 4.2.2 phone
how to backup phone before rooting
how to save your info before rooting your phone
need to back up before rooting phone
should i back up my s3 to sd card before rooting
will rooting before backing up my phone matter?