Backing up phone before root

repo_man

Reaction score
Trouble downloading Bootstrapper?

I've been reading around for a few weeks about rooting/rom'ing and I know I've read somewhere what to use to backup but I've forgotten it. I had to warranty my DX because it had that odd screen-flicker problem so I just activated the new one they sent. I'd like to make a backup file while it's still completely stock. What do I use? Is it titanium something? I swore I read a FAQ on it but I can't seem to find it, lol.

Last edited:
OP
R

repo_man

Reaction score
Edit: It's bootstrapper I was looking for. Now though, I can't DL it from the app store. I get: "A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen". I've never tried to get a paid app (I'm cheap! LOL), am I doing something wrong? Or is it an issue with the app store/bootstrapper?

Is there any other program I can use to make a backup of my phone?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Edit: It's bootstrapper I was looking for. Now though, I can't DL it from the app store. I get: "A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen". I've never tried to get a paid app (I'm cheap! LOL), am I doing something wrong? Or is it an issue with the app store/bootstrapper?

Is there any other program I can use to make a backup of my phone?

You can't back up your phone until you root. Then you can run a back up of the stock ROM that you are running.

I'd like for you to rethink the idea of obtaining all apps for free. Too many people think like that with Android and until people are willing to pay for quality apps you will either get ads or nothing. Devs need to get paid for their work.

Just keep trying to download the bootstraps. That has clockwork and that's what you use to make a back up.

OP
R

repo_man

Reaction score
You can't back up your phone until you root. Then you can run a back up of the stock ROM that you are running.

I'd like for you to rethink the idea of obtaining all apps for free. Too many people think like that with Android and until people are willing to pay for quality apps you will either get ads or nothing. Devs need to get paid for their work.

Just keep trying to download the bootstraps. That has clockwork and that's what you use to make a back up.
I've already rooted with z4, so my next step was to make the backup with Bootstrapper.

I didn't mean to come off as I only use free apps or that I am disagreeable to paying for apps. This is just my first smartphone and the only uses I have for apps right now do not necessitate needing a paid-for one. I use remotedroid for my HTPC keyboard, which is an open free app. Then the only other apps I have really are barcode scanner, angry birds, and a reader for my favorite web-comic. I meant no disrespect, just that I have never had to buy an app before and wasn't sure if I needed to setup a payment info page or something or if it was just the app store giving the error. :)

OP
R

repo_man

Reaction score
Is there any other bootstrap app besides ClockworkMod's DX Recovery bootstrap? I've been trying to DL it from the app store since yesterday and I'm still getting an error. :(

whezzel

Reaction score
Bootstrap requires root access. The only way to get back to a completly stock unrooted rom is my sbf. Read about that and no how to do it before u root because u will have to do it a few times if u switch roms

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

whezzel

Reaction score
Is there any other bootstrap app besides ClockworkMod's DX Recovery bootstrap? I've been trying to DL it from the app store since yesterday and I'm still getting an error. :(

Btw if u just google koushs bootstrap app u can download it for free from his website

OP
R

repo_man

Reaction score
Btw if u just google koushs bootstrap app u can download it for free from his website

The link is down on his site. I already tried that. :( I'll just keep trying the app store. I'm posting around to see if anyone else is getting this error when trying to download it. Thanks Whezzel. :)

OP
R

repo_man

Reaction score
Update: I'm using a Gmail account from a website (my home forum gives staffers custom Gmail accounts ie - they have a different "@ address" not @gmail). I was looking around the app store faqs and it said to double check the info setup on your Google Checkout account. I've never setup a google checkout account so I went there and it said that my forum's gmail account doesn't support google checkout. Is that the issue perhaps? I didn't know I needed google checkout for apps; I thought they simply got billed to VZW on my monthly bill. Is this the missing link?