Backing Up Homescreens

rakoom2002

Reaction score
I am currently using Mybackup pro to backup my programs and settings but is there anyway to backup your homescreens. It gets very irritating to have to replace all your shortcuts and widgets whenever you wanna update your rom.

mrdorunjr

Reaction score
I am currently using Mybackup pro to backup my programs and settings but is there anyway to backup your homescreens. It gets very irritating to have to replace all your shortcuts and widgets whenever you wanna update your rom.

well if u use a replacement home, ie helix, you can back up its DATA+APK since you are rooted...and when u restore im pretty sure it puts back most of the icons, some widgets might need to be replaced though...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
In mybackup pro there is a way to backup "Android Home" and I believe that backs up your home screen, but have been meaning to test that out to see for sure - will try that today and report back. However, if that IS what it does, it most likely just backs up the stock home, not any non-stock home/launchers, and likely can only be restored to the stock home. I say that only b/c this is something that has been on the "Droid wish list" for quite a long time and I don't believe there is an easy solution yet.

dwagner88

Reaction score
In mybackup pro there is a way to backup "Android Home" and I believe that backs up your home screen, but have been meaning to test that out to see for sure - will try that today and report back. However, if that IS what it does, it most likely just backs up the stock home, not any non-stock home/launchers, and likely can only be restored to the stock home. I say that only b/c this is something that has been on the "Droid wish list" for quite a long time and I don't believe there is an easy solution yet.

This is what you need to do. Just make sure you restore your apps first or it won't have the icon data. It will attempt to restore your widgets, but they will not load correctly until you remove them and re-add them. Still better than having to re-do all the shortcuts though. And it doesn't restore the homescreen layout for third-party home-replacements. At least not launcherpro.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

This is what you need to do. Just make sure you restore your apps first or it won't have the icon data. It will attempt to restore your widgets, but they will not load correctly until you remove them and re-add them. Still better than having to re-do all the shortcuts though. And it doesn't restore the homescreen layout for third-party home-replacements. At least not launcherpro.

So my assumption about it only working for the stock launcher was correct? If the answer to that is yes, then I'm wondering... for the ADW Launcher RC, which just hacks/replaces the stock launcher, it would theoretically work for that right?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can with titanium, but they do not seem to load the widgets right and it seems to f/c later. It just made more sense for me to redo my home screens.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
does it backup home layout automatically when it backs up the launcher.apk? or is that a separate thing in titanium to backup the home layout? (besides the widgets obviously)

you can with titanium, but they do not seem to load the widgets right and it seems to f/c later. It just made more sense for me to redo my home screens.