Backing up apps with Astro saves app data also?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by PolyOlefin, May 14, 2010.

1. PolyOlefin

PolyOlefin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to root and I don't want to lose my app data, such as car maintenance info in aCar and lists I've made in Note Everything. Will backing up with Astro save all that data as well?

2. ohioDroid

ohioDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just did this the other day, and no. Astro did not save the data for the programs. Maybe there's a way to make it do so, but all I did was go to its App Manager and say 'back everything up.'

3. Reptileszz

Reptileszz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So what good is it? I backed up everything when my droid was dying. Now I find out all it did was back up the app. WTF. Who cares? I could just download the apps again. Now all my data has gone with the dead droid. Thanks for nothing Astro.

Carole

4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Astro has never claimed to save app data.....If my data was that critical, I would of done better research on what programs I was using for backup.

5. PolyOlefin

PolyOlefin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean, though I don't blame Astro.

The trend is that many apps have a built-in data backup feature but require you to buy the full version for it.

aCar uses an interesting mechanic; the free version automatically backs up your data once every month, but you have to purchase the app to be able to backup manually whenever you'd like.

6. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    OP once you root there are two apps that you should check out. MyBackUp Pro and Titanium. Both are paid and well worth the money. I use both. I believe MyBackUp Pro may work for non rooted phones but I'm not positive.

Mike

7. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +30
  8. nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers Member

Ratings:
    +1
    MyBackupPro can't backup protected data unless you are rooted. Unless that has changed. I tried that when I first got my phone to backup aCar of all things. It didn't get the data. If you want to backup all data you HAVE to be rooted.

9. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had good success with Titanium -- I'm rooted however and paid $3.99 for the app.

10. PolyOlefin

PolyOlefin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had some stability issues with custom ROMs at first, and I was told a possible reason was because I was restoring app data from Titanium. So I've been using Titanium to restore apps and the apps themselves to restore data.

No more problems, but I don't know if that's what fixed it.

11. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    ^^^ That is precisely correct. Usually restoring apps (and especially the app data) using Titanium, MyBackupPro, or any other when going to a different rom will cause some problems. I have finally given in to that as fact from my experience.

12. wmscottmc

wmscottmc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Much of your application data canNOT be backed up unless your phone is rooted. This inlcudes using MyBackup Pro. Some apps are designed to allow mybackup to backup its app data, but you will need to verify that your app is on the list.

Froyou has a backup feature in settings/privacy/backup my data. I havent been able to find anybody that is using it, or if it also requires the phone to be rooted. Does it backup just the apps, or also the app data?

I think a lot of users are assuming that their phones are being backed up, when it may just be the apps (and no user data) that is being backed up.

Root your phone, and use something like Titanium, if you want a full backup.

13. djembeman

djembeman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So what's the point of a Titanium Backup?

So, it sounds like Titanium or MyBackup will actually cause problems. I have been wondering what the point in using Titanium backup is...

The privacy settings ("Backup my Data/Automatically restore) within the Android OS will backup app data to Google and restore the apps after you do a factory reset. All actual data like game progress was lost after I did a factory reset. It just seems like there is no point in a Titanium backup if it is going to cause you problems. But if you don't want to loose data within the app then will Titanium restore that data; like game progress?

I recently flashed a custom ROM, Bugless Beast V0.5, I had a Titanium backup from before but don't want to mess with a good thing. All of my apps automatically installed themselves but lost the data within the apps.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  14. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    As far as app data it's just too hard to know for sure, some people have good luck, and alot don't. Of course here in the forums, we hear mostly from those who don't, so I only use MyBackupPro to backup/restore call logs, bookmarks, and texts. As you said, now with froyo all the rest gets restored automatically, except of course what ever your ringtone, notification and alarms sounds were set to.

This is why I don't 'rom' hop. I only change if there is some really significant new feature in the 'next' one.

15. eg146

eg146 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Backing Up App Data on Droid

OK so if I'm understanding this, unless your phone is rooted, data within an app may not be saved properly?

This happened to me with a password safe app, it was only as current as the manual backup I ran within that app. Would have been nice to know that before my phone locked up!

Search tags for this page
android clearing cached data lose game progress
astro app backup
astro app data
astro backup app and data

astro backup app data

astro backup games

does astro backup app data

does astro backup saved games
how to save game apps in astro
how to use astro to backup app data