Background Process Limit

bmkdroid

Reaction score
Anybody messing around with any of the dev options? I notice Background process limit. I'm curious as to what the standard limit is, and if it may be beneficial to set it to no limit or at most #?

samiusmc

Reaction score
As you probably know, the Galaxy Nexus has an option under settings to limit the number of apps that run in the background. I set it to 4 apps but every time I reboot the phone, it reverts back to the default setting.

Is this just me or is it happening to everyone? Is there a fix?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
um sry i havent tried this setting yet i was worried what it would do? thanks for explaing it to me so now i will try it and see what happens and report back to you.

bob

Reaction score
Well, I can see this thread was filled with many helpful individuals. I have the same problem and want the setting to "stick."

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This thread is filled with "helpful individuals" because I think no one else has seen a need to do this. That's my guess and I'm sticking with it!! :biggrin:

Good with it though

zegil77

Reaction score
google apps not syncing

For some reason none of me Google apps are syncing on their own. I have to sync it on my own and it is really annoying.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For some reason none of me Google apps are syncing on their own. I have to sync it on my own and it is really annoying.

Go to Settings/Accounts and press on your gmail account. A menu will popup to select the things you want to sync automatically.

Good luck

zegil77

Reaction score
Go to Settings/Accounts and press on your gmail account. A menu will popup to select the things you want to sync automatically.

Good luck

Everything is checked. I thought that maybe it was the from that I'm using so today I flashed a new rom and I'm still having issues

TeeX

Reaction score
As you probably know, the Galaxy Nexus has an option under settings to limit the number of apps that run in the background. I set it to 4 apps but every time I reboot the phone, it reverts back to the default setting.

Is this just me or is it happening to everyone? Is there a fix?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

yes, I have this as well, same as you. I had always changed the setting from the standard default to the 4 application limit. And every reboot I have to re-set it. After a while I just didn't bother doing it anymore.

My question is:
What does this really do? Is it helpful in battery at all? Or just ram?

nbucko

Reaction score
yes, I have this as well, same as you. I had always changed the setting from the standard default to the 4 application limit. And every reboot I have to re-set it. After a while I just didn't bother doing it anymore.

My question is:
What does this really do? Is it helpful in battery at all? Or just ram?

Don't think this has anything to do with battery life unless the background apps do something like sync etc. Most apps will just use RAM which the OS handles on its own.

nleksan

Reaction score
My phone does the same thing... Every time I reboot my phone, I have to go back and change this setting.

Not only that, however, but other apps come back even though I disable them! These are:
- Google Books
- Earth
- Maps
- "Videos"
- 2-3 more that I'm forgetting...

Any time I reboot my phone (or it reboots itself, which it seems to like to do in the middle of the night every so often), I have to go back through and manually "Disable" each of these apps again! I have no idea why they keep coming up, because I don't have them set to sync (via Google's account sync options) nor do I have them set to "auto-update".
Is there something I am missing?

Stock, no root, 4.0.2

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My phone does the same thing... Every time I reboot my phone, I have to go back and change this setting.

Not only that, however, but other apps come back even though I disable them! These are:
- Google Books
- Earth
- Maps
- "Videos"
- 2-3 more that I'm forgetting...

Any time I reboot my phone (or it reboots itself, which it seems to like to do in the middle of the night every so often), I have to go back through and manually "Disable" each of these apps again! I have no idea why they keep coming up, because I don't have them set to sync (via Google's account sync options) nor do I have them set to "auto-update".
Is there something I am missing?

Stock, no root, 4.0.2

Stock may be built that way as a safety feature. If you accidentally disable something crucial you can recover by simply rebooting (just my guess). I'm on AOKP (4.0.3) rom and things stay disabled through a reboot on it.

Good luck.