1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

background data usage

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by handyman79, Jun 30, 2012.

1. handyman79

handyman79 New Member

on GB i usually had this turned off cause i didn't need to be updated automatically on my apps and emails. now i with ICS i can't figure out how to turn that off with out shutting off something else? ill get text messages one time, and then another i wont?

also i noticed when i had the background data turned off on GB that the 3G was white, telling me it was for certain off. now seems like the 3G is always blue. any help would be appreciated.
  2. antoniotaj

antoniotaj New Member

I've been looking for the answer myself. ics is great but its a little more complicated for things like this
  3. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Did you try Settings -> Data usage -> Menu -> Restrict background data?

Since it says "restrict," I don't know if that does exactly the same thing as turning off background data did on Gingerbread, but at the very least it seems that it would cut some out.
  4. cece5702

cece5702 Member

I too was wondering what "Restrict Background Data means?
  5. Rogus

Rogus Member

Looking forward to one of you genius' to give us the answer.
  6. Rogus

Rogus Member

Found this info for ICS:

View or restrict data usage

Some apps transfer data in the background—that is, when you're not actually using the app, it may download data for future reference. Restricting background data usage for individual apps can sometimes be a useful way to reduce your overall data usage. However, this is a drastic measure that may also affect the app's performance or cause it to malfunction. Check whether data usage can be restricted from the app's own settings (available from within the app) before restricting it here.
  7. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

When I tried to enable it, it said I need to set a data limit first. Huh? Think I'll stick with Juice Defender.
  8. paulhusker

paulhusker New Member

I'm confused on this "background data restricted" message. Is there a simple setting we can set to not get this message? I've tried everything. Frustrated!!

Thanks!!
  9. cece5702

cece5702 Member

I agree its very annoying. It keeps showing up on my notification bar. Have not figured out how to get rid of it.
  10. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

This is because of smart actions battery extender I think. It turns off background data sync when your screen times out, and then when you wake the phone up, it takes a second to kick it back on. As far as the notification... idk what you could do about that.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  11. 94lt1

In system settings, setting a data limit and then limiting background data on certain apps gives you more control over that app sucking data down when you don't want it to. So essentially it keeps the app from using data when not in use.

Probably a good thing to have if you're on a share everything or a tiered plan.

12. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

I wonder if the notification appears when you open an app that typically requires background data and because that app is not doing the background data stuff that it typically should, the phone guess you an alert to let you know that the app is limited because background data is restricted??

Or maybe it is Verizon's twist on ICS to annoy the he!* out of you so you get sick of seeing the notification and decide to un-restrict background data just so you don't have to keep getting the annoying notifications and you therefore end up using more data increasing the likelihood that you go over which gives verizon more overage charges.
  13. cece5702

cece5702 Member

Thanks for your response. I'm on unlimitted plan and dont really want to set a data limit. I sort of thought it had something to do with the Smart Actions (Battery Extender) I have set. Thats fine. I will deal with it. :)
  14. 94lt1

Glad I could help :)

15. altjx

altjx New Member

Ah, so can you limit background data for certain apps? I'd like to disable everything but my Mail app from syncing and doing crap in the background. Is real-time push notifications occur from background data as well?
  16. fullhouse451

fullhouse451 New Member

background data restriction error

I had the same problem with my razr maxx. I have spent ALL day on the phone with motorola since verizon didn't know how to fix. This is what they told me. go to settings-data usage-touch the bottom button on your phone with the lines (left most button). THERE is your data restriction setting. make sure it is unchecked. Mine was so she had me check it..go back to data usage and checked the 'set data usage limit' then go all the way out..then go in and uncheck everything..shut phone on and off.and FIXED..YEA!
  17. Parzec

Parzec New Member

Another situation to be aware of is
    corporate email can disable background data while roaming if that feature is set by the exchange server administrator. It will override your phones settings for background data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR maxx from Droid Forums
  18. cece5702

cece5702 Member

I tried this procedure and it didnt work for me :-(
  19. sgould12

sgould12 New Member

Figured it out!

This worked for me. Go to smart actions then click the three line button at the bottom of the phone next to the home button on the left. Click settings. Then remove the check that says display status notifications.
  20. bousquetcm

bousquetcm New Member

Smart Settings is almost there

So Smart Settings is 85% of the way there. This was annoying me with i <3 Radio constantly shutting off when the phone sleeps. So go to Apps > Smart Actions > Battery Extender and drag Background Sync off. Remember to hit "save" in the top right before returning home. If you would like gps data as well (helpful for jogging apps), then just delete the rule.

Then enjoy your streams and apps while the phone's display is locked and off. w00t!
Search tags for this page
droid forums how to minimize data usage droid max
droid maxx background data
how to restrict background data in gingerbread
how to restrict background data on gingerbread
is restrict background on or off when checked
restrict background data means on android
unrestrict background data

what does background data restricted mean

what does background mean on data usage
what does background restricted mean
what does it mean to restrict background data