Background data notice every 30 seconds

MattSF

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since last week or so, I started receiving this message every 30 secs (or more frequently).

"Background data notice
To protect your data plan, your administrator has disabled background data while roaming. If needed you can manually synchronize data while roaming."

This is my personal phone, but I also use it for work email on the bus, Starbuck's, etc. I've tried restarting and turning background data roaming back on, but the same message still appears.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hi all,

Since last week or so, I started receiving this message every 30 secs (or more frequently).

"Background data notice
To protect your data plan, your administrator has disabled background data while roaming. If needed you can manually synchronize data while roaming."

This is my personal phone, but I also use it for work email on the bus, Starbuck's, etc. I've tried restarting and turning background data roaming back on, but the same message still appears.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

That's a strange one. Try booting into Safe Mode and see if you still get the notices.

Hold power down and then select power off. Once powered down, press and hold power until you see the red Motorola M logo. Then press and hold BOTH volume buttons and don't let go until you see the lock screen. Run in safe mode as long as you like but you won't have access to user installed apps.

To boot normally again, simply power down and then power up normally.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Hi all,

"Background data notice

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Sounds like you've got data-saver turned on.

eidian

Reaction score
Maybe Smart Actions is disabling the background setting?

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
Hi all,

"Background data notice

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Are you rooted?

What are you using for email access - corporate sync, exchange, gmail etc?

OP
MattSF

MattSF

Reaction score
Still working on this

Hi again -

Not receiving pop-ups in Safe Mode. Does that mean it's a specific app I've downloaded that's doing this? I've only downloaded handful of apps and they're all pretty mainstream (Spotify, Words With Friends, etc.).

In Settings, I'm allowing global data roaming access for all trips, enabling background data and Data Saver is turned off. I also deleted all Smart Actions.

I don't think I'm rooted because I don't know what that means. I am using Corporate Sync for my work email (Outlook), which is also frequently buggy. Tips appreciated there too.

Hope to fix this eventually! Again, any helpful tips are appreciated.

Best,
-Matt

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hi again -

Not receiving pop-ups in Safe Mode. Does that mean it's a specific app I've downloaded that's doing this? I've only downloaded handful of apps and they're all pretty mainstream (Spotify, Words With Friends, etc.).

In Settings, I'm allowing global data roaming access for all trips, enabling background data and Data Saver is turned off. I also deleted all Smart Actions.

I don't think I'm rooted because I don't know what that means. I am using Corporate Sync for my work email (Outlook), which is also frequently buggy. Tips appreciated there too.

Hope to fix this eventually! Again, any helpful tips are appreciated.

Best,
-Matt

Matt, you are
Almost definitely not rooted. If you were, you'd know it. Since Safe Mode doesn't change system settings, it almost has to be app that's causing the problem. My bet is corporate sync. Try uninstalling that first and boot normally. If the problem doesn't go away, try uninstalling any other apps you installed which are related to email. Then start uninstalling anything else that does any kind of web or data retrieval.

Last edited:

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Maybe you should try freezing the apps first with TiBu or App Quarantine.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Reading the heading and the posts, the first thing that came to mind is that it's an app that you installed. Think back to when you first started seeing this. What app did you install? Also, did you set up a Smart Action? Those pop up every now and then with a suggestion. Click on the Smart Actions and see what actions are current.

SallyC

Reaction score
Matt, you are
Almost definitely not rooted. If you were, you'd know it. Since Safe Mode doesn't change system settings, it almost has to be app that's causing the problem. My bet is corporate sync. Try uninstalling that first and boot normally. If the problem doesn't go away, try uninstalling any other apps you installed which are related to email. Then start uninstalling anything else that does any kind of web or data retrieval.

Yes, I agree corporate sync is probably the problem. I'm not sure what to do about that except talk to your system admin at work. Maybe someone else has more experience.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Maybe you should try freezing the apps first with TiBu or App Quarantine.

That's another good suggestion, and since we're on that path, even simply killing the task in the Settings, Applications, Manage Applications area under the Running tab may yield a quick and difinitive result. ;)

Cyberguyen

Reaction score
I believe it has something to do with the Exchange Active Sync permissions.

I had the same problem occurring and even though I was not using direct push or roaming.

After allowing the direct push in the "Exchange server" the error is gone.
It require help from the exchange manager and it is not a good setting to turn of.
Lucky for me I'm the Exchange manager :happy3:

The Motorola folks should definitely solve this issue.

I'm running Android 2.3.6

System version: 651.167.20.XT910.Retail.en.EU

Exchange 2007 server screenshot:

View attachment 47395

Last edited:

clwoody35

Reaction score
I was having the same problem and it was indeed my corporate sync. I deleted my corporate email account and the problem was fixed. Thanks.

tinaslocum

Reaction score
i fixed mine ;)

Hi, I have the droid RAZR Maxx and had this same problem. I just fixed mine a few minutes ago. I had downloaded Google's "Chrome to Phone" app, and this was causing the problem. I simply deleted the app and it fixed the problem :) Hope this helps someone in the future.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Hi, I have the droid RAZR Maxx and had this same problem. I just fixed mine a few minutes ago. I had downloaded Google's "Chrome to Phone" app, and this was causing the problem. I simply deleted the app and it fixed the problem :) Hope this helps someone in the future.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like there are several fixes, depending on which route you take. The Microsoft Exchange Servers don't seem to play well with the ICS RAZR unless all the settings are just right. Another member is getting extra line feeds with his. Thanks for the input.