Back to Stock Home Screen - anyone else?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, after experimenting with several Home programs over the past few weeks, Panda, GDE, Home++ and Launcher+, I decided enough was enough. Each of the Home programs have some very nice niches, but my favorite was Home++ by far. However, after several updates, switching from Safe to the experimental mode and back, and very sluggish phone and then SD Card failure and reformat, I had enough and today I not only went back to the stock Home screen, I uninstalled Home++ and Launcher+. I figure they're programs that are a shell around the stock Home screen anyway so they're bound to have something in the program that will be using internal phone memory, so I'm just going to wait a month and see what the stock Droid O.S. 2.1 will do. All I really want is the ability to have 4 or maybe 5 total screens. I also wish, but not anticipating, a dial icon similar to Home++ that you're not wasting an icon on the screen.

Just wondering if anyone else has found the sluggishness to finally send you over the edge and go back to 3 screens until the update and also now finding much better response from their Droids?

hughesjr

Reaction score
I have been using Home++ since I got my droid on Dec 9th. I have rarely had any issues, and even with I have gotten a "force close" notice a couple times (once or twice a week) ... just using wait instead of force close has always worked for me.

I have not had anything seem laggy at all.

Erich_F

Reaction score
I only tried Panda, myself...and thought it was pretty but otherwise not adding much functional. I went back to the standard home screen after a few hours.

It's just my opinion, but for me, the home screen is just a place to operate from. I have a clock widget, Weather Bug, and Pandora, then the most used apps across the three screens. My background is a simple tiled graphic that doesn't interfere with the visibility of my App Icons. I tried using some cool pictures for my background, but found the icons always spoiled the pic, and the pic made looking for specific icons difficult. Maybe it's the pilot in me, that likes a nice, organized panel that's easy on the eyes.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Using the stock 5 screen home on 2.1 here....

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I've been using GDE for a few weeks, no force closes and performance seems pretty decent. That plus BW and I'm happy with the appearance and functionality. No desire to go back to the stock home screen.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Just wondering if anyone else has found the sluggishness to finally send you over the edge and go back to 3 screens until the update and also now finding much better response from their Droids?

My Experiance mimics yours exactly, all those bells and whistles aren't worth a phone without the snappy performance my Droid had when new. I do need(want) 5 screens but not at the expense of speed. I too will wait for 2.1 and get 5 screens with fast stock performance.

pilot25

Reaction score
I can't wait for 2.1 myself. Totally sick of the Open Home force closures. At least 12 a day. Same happened with Home++. I imagine the Droid isn't capable of handling more than 3 screens, that's why they limited the original to 3.

samiusmc

Reaction score
I'm with you. I tried all of them and the sluggishness was outweighed by and purported, nonexistent benefit.

JamesButabi

Reaction score
I never even bothered. I read and read and read about all of the addons. The negatives outweighed the positives for me. I perfectly manage everything I want in 3 screens very neatly. 5 screens in 2.1 will really just be extra. IMO slap a high def wallpaper on your phone, clean the icons up with folder organization, and keep it simple.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never switched. I use the factory 2.0.1. I keep thinking about try 2.1 with the live wallpapers. I am just not comfortable enough with it

CKyle22

Reaction score
GDE is extremely laggy, in my experience. The home screens are smooth, but the app drawer is slow as can be.

tyarbro13

Reaction score
been using home++ but since going to 2.1 stuck with stock home cuz of the live wallpapers

vonfink13

Reaction score
GDE is extremely laggy, in my experience. The home screens are smooth, but the app drawer is slow as can be.

gde is far from perfect..but... i really like having 6 screens and the cube effect is very cool....2.1 is just a round the corner...and i will be happy to dump gde...