Back to Rooted Stock

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Big Lou, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Big Lou

Big Lou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, long time no chat!

Anyways... I recently was forced to exchange my phone for a new Droid. My girlfriend's parent's dog attacked the old one and caused the screen to be erratic and unresponsive. Fortunately, Verizon had no problems replacing it (thankfully I was able to revert to non-rooted stock), but I obviously had to start over.

I started slow--only running stock Froyo unrooted for a few days until I finally got around to hacking. For nearly the entire time I had my original, I relied on several ROMs to get my by--most recently CM5 and 6. But now that I have my new Droid, I have yet to load any custom ROM.

Sure, I've put a custom kernel and have overclocked to 900mhz, but I can't remember the last time my system ran this stable. Yes, I will miss some great features in some of the ROMs, but no, I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

I know some people stand by their ROMs; hell, even I did. I just never even considered running stock Froyo, but now I'm glad I have it.

2. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Big Lou!

I couldn't agree with you more, and to tell you the truth it was through my many flashings of the darkedge ui that I realized stock rooted was as stable as you can get. A little wifi tether and overclocking are really the only mods I need, and it's definitely nice not having any weird little quirks or bugs that you learn to live with with custom roms.

Having said that....

.....I'm actually running the MIUI rom right now, lol

But I do think you're right

3. cdexsw

cdexsw Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I switch between cm6 & sapphire, sapphire being my current.

I have never had superb luck with stock roms.....that being said, no 2 devices can handle same types of software either.

Glad you found one your happy with.
    Happy halloween. Be safe.

sent from my badass droid using DF app

4. Big Lou

Big Lou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm technically not running a stock ROM. It's stock Froyo that has been rooted and has an overclock kernel.

I remember the original 2.0 software was so sluggish--I couldn't wait to get on a new ROM that improved performance 10 fold. Froyo is pleasantly quick (especially at 900mhz); I just don't have a need to go with anything else.

5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    One mans trash is another mans treasure :)

6. cdexsw

cdexsw Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I figured you were on a rooted/stock/odexed rom. Its all good though.

sent from my badass droid using DF app