Back to eWallet

billyk

Reaction score
iLium recently released a "Viewer" for Android and someone reviewed it here on the DroidForums. I just learned about it yesterday and even though it's just a viewer now, I think iLium, who was hesitant about bothering to acknowledge the growing Android community, finally woke-up and is on the Droid bandwagon now.

I painfully transported all of my years of eWallet data to SplashID back in December - a task that took hours of my time and totally sucked due to eWallet's terribly inadequate export function. That left a really bad taste in mouth about iLiumSoftware. But, on the other hand, SplashData has not evolved SplashID from it's somewhat crude/unstable state for months now, so I am moving back to eWallet, in hopes that they will soon create a fully-functional Android app - not just a "viewer".

Having a password safe is a central function for me. I wish that moving to the Droid wasn't such a PIA.

REARless

Reaction score
Done with proprietary password keepers

I feel your pain. I am DONE paying for proprietary password keepers that are a PITA to migrate data. I went from illium eWallet to Acendo DataVault when I moved to my Blackberry. Huge effort on my part. Now I want DataVault for my Droid and Ascendo acts like Apple and RIM are the only companies that matter.

I am through. I use OI Safe now. It is free. Yes it does not sync with my PC and I manually have to back it up, but I am fed up with paying for propietary software with zero customer service.

BigTex71

Reaction score
I hear you, REARless. I use OI Safe also. I am hoping that eWallet comes to the android platform, but OI Safe will have to work for me for now.

ljholland

Reaction score
I was an eWallet user also - and yes, they were very slow in implementing changes and keeping up with the market.

I've moved over to LastPass. It seems to be the one password manager that works across every system I own. I have to say, I have had no complaints at all since moving over a few months ago. LastPass works well on the droid.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Sorry to report back with this, but here is iLium Software's response to my request for an app that supports editing on the phone, like all other Droid password safes:

"We haven't made a final decision on a full-featured Android version of eWallet yet"

ILium appears to be wedded tightly with iPhone. I still like eWallet the best of the password safes I've used/tried-out, but their lack of foresight in the Market and their crappy Export function makes them less-than-stellar IMO. SplashData is much worse IMO.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Hey, the eWallet viewer doesn't have a Search function.

WHAT??

Geebus H.!!

BPB

Reaction score
Ialso used ewallet and moved to LastPass. As much as I liked ewallet I don't think I'd go back after using lastpass.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pwjone1

Reaction score
You might want to read the thread at:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/2206-wallet-app-5.html

on wallet type applications, which includes a mini-review I've done on eWallet. The net is that it is promising, but too buggy for now.

There are reviews of other wallet type applications. Lastpass is not a bad choice, if you are doing mainly internet passwords of one sort or another, but if you're looking for something more in the eWallet space, probably there are closer options (B-Folders, Secforms, WalletPro, etc.).

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Thanks PJWone1. You did a good job on those reviews.

BPB: I looked at LastPass, and for better/worse, rational/irrational, I don't like putting my bank information into anything that integrates with a browser. I know the data is encrypted, but browsers are the easiest environments to hack. I've been in the software development business for nearly 30 years and started browsing back in the Mosaic days, and I just have a healthy distrust in browser components, extensions and the like. I'll stick with eWallet for the time being, but thanks for the suggestion.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I like to consider myself close to the cutting edge, at least these days, but still cannot bring myself to storing/accessing sensitive financial data on a cell phone.

Sure, people will say I'm probably at greater risk on my PC, but then I'm far less likely to leave my PC in a bar or a cab.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
I feel reasonably safe with the encryption that eWallet (or SplashID) offer, bolstered with a really strong password. Plus, the dozen or so bank-related records related to savings, investments, etc, are in a separate "Wallet" that doesn't go on my Droid. I try to minimize risk for sure.

hush

Reaction score
No need to wait for a full featured eWallet for Droid. Recently I started using B-folders and I find it very progressive and solid. I'm a long time password managers/wallets user and I use several of them, but finally I decided to consolidate all my data in one place - b-folders. And what a surprise - yesterday I got an update that allowed me to import directly a couple of eWallet-s I've been using so far. Well, now I can sync, search, edit...

jimnutt

Reaction score
KeePass. The only one you need. Cross platform, runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, Windows Mobile, Android. The Android version (KeePassDroid) now supports the .kdbx (KeePass V2) database format (read-only right now, but read/write coming soon). Works great, is stable, and in combination with DropBox, is the easiest way FREE way to keep track of passwords across multiple systems. Oh, and it's open source.

I have nothing to do with any of the KeePass developers, just a very happy longtime user.

chart

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
There never seems to be a good answer for me for these password safes. I've settled back into eWallet and the lack of a search function on the eWallet Reader renders that app nearly useless on the Droid - for me.

So, B-Folders can import eWallet? Cleanly and totally? Maybe I have to try that. If for nothing else to get my newly revised data out of eWallet and into the new version of SplashID.