Back Button Issue/Erratic screen after messed up flash

iambatmanshhhh

Reaction score
Hey, long time reader first time poster, I have a general idea of whats going on but just needed some advice before taking next steps and trying to get a replacement from verizon. I was running rooted 2.2 the other day and wanted to upgrade to cyanogen 6.0 rc3 but for some reason my recovery was stock recovery and not clockwork so i reflashed clockwork went in and (not realizing what a mistake this was at the time) applied update.zip, my phone then froze at the moto screen. So i followed countless instructions i found to get 2.0.1 on it through rsdlite(The process said failed but it was at 99% and the phone appeared to boot fine). After completing this, my back button lights up but usually does not work. I've even re-rooted and gotten cyangoen on there but it still does not work at all. Whenever it does work, the screen itself is very erratic. I'm not really sure whether i have a hardware or software problem.
My questions are should I
a)Try to reflash 2.0.1 till i get a 100% through rsd?
b) is this purely a hardware issue(this seems unlikely as it started because of a software issue). If it is purely hardware I will leave it at that and call verizon for a replacement
c)Everything is fine except the back button. is there a way to reassign back button functionality to the camera button?

Any information/advice would be extremely helpful. Thank You.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey, long time reader first time poster, I have a general idea of whats going on but just needed some advice before taking next steps and trying to get a replacement from verizon. I was running rooted 2.2 the other day and wanted to upgrade to cyanogen 6.0 rc3 but for some reason my recovery was stock recovery and not clockwork so i reflashed clockwork went in and (not realizing what a mistake this was at the time) applied update.zip, my phone then froze at the moto screen. So i followed countless instructions i found to get 2.0.1 on it through rsdlite(The process said failed but it was at 99% and the phone appeared to boot fine). After completing this, my back button lights up but usually does not work. I've even re-rooted and gotten cyangoen on there but it still does not work at all. Whenever it does work, the screen itself is very erratic. I'm not really sure whether i have a hardware or software problem.
My questions are should I
a)Try to reflash 2.0.1 till i get a 100% through rsd?
b) is this purely a hardware issue(this seems unlikely as it started because of a software issue). If it is purely hardware I will leave it at that and call verizon for a replacement
c)Everything is fine except the back button. is there a way to reassign back button functionality to the camera button?

Any information/advice would be extremely helpful. Thank You.

a) yes try again
b) Could be either, hardware fails
c) there might be...brb

OP
I

iambatmanshhhh

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I went to sleep and let it charge, woke up and the back button magically works again....i really don't get it. That scripting is useful anyway, thanks so much!

OP
I

iambatmanshhhh

Reaction score
2 hours later it stopped working again. I'm probably going to get a warranty replacement through Verizon even thought I feel like this is a software issue. If I have some time today I'll try to get a 100% on rsd and post how that goes.

OP
I

iambatmanshhhh

Reaction score
got a 100% reinstall of 2.0.1 stock, same issue, final decision is hardware problem. Thank you for your help.