B&H Offering An Unlocked LG G5 That Works On GSM and CDMA

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

One thing that Samsung did wrong in my opinion is selling carrier locked phones in the US. I prefer a phone that supports all carrier bands sold directly to the consumer by the manufacturer. Huawei and Motorola are the best examples of this with the Nexus 6P and Moto X Pure. Both of these phones had one variant that supported all networks. These phones were easily bootloader unlocked, and didn't come with any sort of carrier bloatware!

LG is offering a similar experience if you buy the G5 through B&H. This is actually a huge incentive to purchase the phone from them if you ask me. Even if you are not into unlocking your bootloader and installing custom roms being able to jump between carriers is a huge plus. This also makes the phone's resale value go up and you will be able to sell the phone faster when you are ready since you won't have to find someone on the specific carrier.

Even if LG has not certified this version of the G5 for easy activation with Verizon you will be able to activate the device with your current sim. Head to the link below to get your carrier unlocked LG G5 ordered.

via B&H Photo

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
The thing about "Carrier Unlocked phones is that you can switch carriers anytime..."
You hear this constantly touted as such an awesome feature but the truth of the matter is: people are pretty loyal and rarely ever actually switch carriers. Even on an enthusiast board like this, you don't see it often if at all.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The thing about "Carrier Unlocked phones is that you can switch carriers anytime..."
You hear this constantly touted as such an awesome feature but the truth of the matter is: people are pretty loyal and rarely ever actually switch carriers. Even on an enthusiast board like this, you don't see it often if at all.

Agreed. Most people find the best network for them (based on either service or price) and stick with it. The best thing about unbranded, unlocked devices is updates direct from the manufacturer without carrier interference.

The interesting thing about the listing above in regard to CDMA networks is this statement:

"However, activation may not be supported on all compatible CDMA networks. If you plan to use a CDMA carrier, please confirm that this device can be activated on their network prior to purchase."

So, while it has the proper hardware for CDMA networks, it may not work on all CDMA networks. CDMA works differently than GSM/LTE in that carriers have to allow the devices to run on the network. Verizon has allowed the Moto X Pure as well as the Nexus 5X & 6P, but Verizon also doesn't have carrier-branded versions of those. It will be interesting to see if Verizon allows the unlocked G5 since they'll have their own variant.

Amagine

Reaction score
So, while it has the proper hardware for CDMA networks, it may not work on all CDMA networks. CDMA works differently than GSM/LTE in that carriers have to allow the devices to run on the network. Verizon has allowed the Moto X Pure as well as the Nexus 5X & 6P, but Verizon also doesn't have carrier-branded versions of those. It will be interesting to see if Verizon allows the unlocked G5 since they'll have their own variant.

With more carriers moving to try and sell directly to customers (a la Samsung and Apple.. now HTC) I think we will eventually see methods for CDMA networks to accept unlocked direct to market phones. Likely, at first, they will only accept phones which they also have a carrier branded version as well.
I've stated for a number of years that the market is shifting toward an almost European style phone market where the cost of the device will be directly covered by the buyer. Shortly after that manufacturers and software makers will begin to market devices directly to the consumer rather than through the carriers. Once more manufacturers go this route, we may see more "verizon" "ATT" "sprint" phones like the old days. A line of phones exclusive to a particular carrier and fully branded by them.
I doubt that Verizon ever offers an access sim card as an option for unlocked phones. They should, I don't see the technical hurdle they have to cross besides control. That being said, I'm not sure that the next generation or two of network upgrades will support multiple paradigms of networks. I believe the need to control costs while also performing network expansion will force an era of network simplification.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Until carriers can start getting coverage like VZW, I'm stuck with them and their overpriced network.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
With more carriers moving to try and sell directly to customers (a la Samsung and Apple.. now HTC) I think we will eventually see methods for CDMA networks to accept unlocked direct to market phones. Likely, at first, they will only accept phones which they also have a carrier branded version as well.

We already see that happening somewhat with the Moto X Pure, the Nexus 5X/6P, and the iPhone 6S/6S Plus (and likely the just announced iPhone SE). That said, I think it's likely that we'll see the retirement of CDMA networks before any major changes with how the carriers work/accept devices, particularly when they have branded versions. Verizon already has plans in place to phase our their CDMA network in the coming years and go all LTE. Sprint will likely do the same. CDMA may live on for a time with budget and regional carriers, but the major ones will move on from it. There won't really be any need to make significant changes to how the network operates when moving away from it is already in motion.

I doubt that Verizon ever offers an access sim card as an option for unlocked phones. They should, I don't see the technical hurdle they have to cross besides control. That being said, I'm not sure that the next generation or two of network upgrades will support multiple paradigms of networks. I believe the need to control costs while also performing network expansion will force an era of network simplification.

They'll drag their feet on it, but they'll eventually have to offer this at some point after going LTE only. Allowing unlocked devices on their LTE network is a part of the agreement they made several years ago with the FCC to get spectrum. They'll probably make it more difficult than it should be to get it done, but it will be possible.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the only only obstacle is companies offering a phone that works on the Verizon network. We already see that the Nexus and Pure work fine and you only needed the SIM.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk