Avoiding Roaming Charges

G_Kruse

Reaction score
I will be on a cruise in a couple weeks visiting a number of Caribbean ports. I am assuming Verizon does not have "normal" service in this area so I'm wondering how to set up my phone to avoid roaming changes. I want to use certain tools (like GPS, camera, text, games, wi-fi connections, etc.). I have no interest/need for using the phone. I just don't want to be surprised when I get home to find out there were large data charges incurred. Any advice for the settings I need?
Thanks!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I am pretty sure just put it in airplane mode and enable wifi if you want to use wifi.

Yup^^^^

Or get the international plan for a month.....If there area your going to had cdma service....

dmartins

Reaction score
Settings --> Wireless & networking --> Mobile networking.
Now disable data roaming.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Perhaps it's just DST lag here but I have a question about this advice. Is it necessary both to set the phone to airplane mode and disable the data roaming? I was mulling this over and then noticed that both suggestions are included above.

nthanh61

Reaction score
Interesting. Perhaps it's just DST lag here but I have a question about this advice. Is it necessary both to set the phone to airplane mode and disable the data roaming? I was mulling this over and then noticed that both suggestions are included above.

I would do both just to be on the safe side. I have a friend at work who has a Droid and he used GPS when he went to Canada and visited Niagara Falls in December. His January bill was about $800.
He should have used MotoNav, he had a Milestone.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can do whatever you like, but just putting it in airplane mode should be sufficient. Also you'll still have access ti wifi in airplane mode.

cpinto

Reaction score
I will be on a cruise in a couple weeks visiting a number of Caribbean ports. I am assuming Verizon does not have "normal" service in this area so I'm wondering how to set up my phone to avoid roaming changes. I want to use certain tools (like GPS, camera, text, games, wi-fi connections, etc.). I have no interest/need for using the phone. I just don't want to be surprised when I get home to find out there were large data charges incurred. Any advice for the settings I need?
Thanks!

You got some good advice.

Here' more. As far as the camera, don't depend on the Droid camera for shots of a vacation. I would bring a real camera, and use the Droid as an extra.

I can confirm, Airplane Mode, then turning on WIFI or GPS if you need it works just fine. If you have Wifi at the hotel or on the Ship you can turn on the GPS and maybe get some info.

Here's the best advice, and I work in the travel industry. If you are going on vacation, turn off and pack away the Droid until it's time to go home.

Find a lounge chair, order up some kind of frozen drink with an umbrella in it, and soak up the sun.

If you are going to St. Maarten, the SunSet bar next to the runway has free Wifi. Oh yes, topless women drink free, as well. So a topless woman with a Droid is set for the day.

005.jpg

Craig

Last edited: