Aviation logbook app

pilot25

Reaction score
Do you know of or have used APDL from Logbook Pro??

Yes. A number of the pilots testing the Android app use or intend to use APDL. They capture the details upfront using the Android app and then feed into APDL.

Are you designing an app for airline pilots or pilots in general. The reason I think there is a difference is APDL has many features airline pilots depend on. i.e. crew rest requirements (including Whitlow Rest), pay and tax inputs, etc..

I think using APDL as a template in your design would be easier than trial and error. I know a few thousand pilots who might be interested.

I use APDL as a daily log and upload it to logbook pro monthly. Would love to dump it as I'm sick of carrying around my old Palm and "little red book".

I'm ready to ditch Logbook Pro as they have a stranglehold on the e-logbook market and are too slow in implementing new products. I mean have they not seen the news on Palm??

Last edited:

lenchan

Reaction score
Are you designing an app for airline pilots or pilots in general. The reason I think there is a difference is APDL has many features airline pilots depend on. i.e. crew rest requirements (including Whitlow Rest), pay and tax inputs, etc..

I think using APDL as a template in your design would be easier than trial and error. I know a few thousand pilots who might be interested.

Mainly for the airline pilots. APDL is a complex program, and currently the focus of this Android app is the logbook aspect. All requirements were collected from the airline pilots who signed up for testing over at androidforums.

I use APDL as a daily log and upload it to logbook pro monthly. Would love to dump it as I'm sick of carrying around my old Palm and "little red book".

I'm ready to ditch Logbook Pro as they have a stranglehold on the e-logbook market and are too slow in implementing new products. I mean have they not seen the news on Palm??

Certainly look like they have other priorities. They don't even have an iPhone version ("working on it"?) of APDL, and Android version is "low priority" :-(

hotelmode

Reaction score
I'd like to thank lenchan, the program that he's released is a very good first step.

lenchan

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm also pleased that it is well received and doesn't have too many bugs for a v0.1 release :) The app is still evolving and all suggestions are welcome.

missin44

Reaction score
Safelog is a nice app

I use Safelog for 6 years. They update the software often making improvements at least once a month. I found it much better than Logbook Pro, but which you like is a bit subjective. That said something for the Droid that would sync with Safelog would be great. Or would consider going something other than Safelog if it worked just as well.

lenchan

Reaction score
... That said something for the Droid that would sync with Safelog would be great. Or would consider going something other than Safelog if it worked just as well.

v0.2 will have better export functionality, and you should be able to import the CSV file into Safelog.

lenchan

Reaction score
We have just released v0.2 Beta on the Android Market, which makes it easier for everyone to download and keep up with the upgrade.

Also, a preliminary info page is at intelliPilot - Pilot LogBook. A forum will be set up shortly specifically to support this app.

Pilot LogBook (IntelliPilot v0.2) - Screenshots
Requires Android 1.6+

v0.2 new/enhanced features:
- New app icon
- Improved export
- Added rego database to record aircraft regos
- Added capture of crew details (incl contacts integration)
- Added summary of hours (day, week, month, year, custom)
- Added quick entries - long press on any time fields will auto-fill to duration, long press on any takeoff/landing fields will auto-fill to 1
- Added support for creating a return flight with details pre-populated (also allows to switch flying/non-flying role)
- Enhanced context menu (view/edit, add, delete, add return flight)
- Updated airport database

v0.3 features (planned):
- Add support for IATA codes
- Handle both local and UTC times
- Support hh:mm and hh.x format

v0.x features (being considered):
- Support user-defined custom fields
- Auto lock records to prevent accidental changes

pilot25

Reaction score
Two things I would love to see are import and export ability to and from Google Calendar.

So far it's seems to be coming along.

lenchan

Reaction score
Two things I would love to see are import and export ability to and from Google Calendar. So far it's seems to be coming along.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this. What exactly do you want to import/export from Google Calendar?

Do you intend to export the flights as calendar entries? And do you want to key some flight details into Google Calendar and pull these to intelliPilot?

lizarddrvr

Reaction score
any chance you could give an option to have the duration in either tenths or in actual minutes.....thanks for putting this out

lenchan

Reaction score
any chance you could give an option to have the duration in either tenths or in actual minutes.....thanks for putting this out

Yes, a planned feature for v0.3 :) See my post above for other planned features in v0.3.

pilot25

Reaction score
What I currently do is get my parings from my company and export them into APDL which I have on an old Palm I keep in my flight bag. I don't want to input each leg by hand. 4 flights a day for a 3 or 4 day trip 4 times a month would be annoying. Then I sync them to Outlook which then I sync to Google Cal. so I can have it on my phone calendar. A lot of steps just to see it on my phone.

The ability to sync to Google calendar is pretty integral for a professional pilot.

lenchan

Reaction score
intelliPilot v0.2.6 is out now.

Main Changes/enchancements:

- Added about 5000 airports (up to 9877 airports)
- Added search, add and edit facilities for airports
- Added Add next leg and Add flight with same crews in the context menu
- Added instructor times
- Added cross country flag
- Allow export file to be emailed