Available Memory with UD8

cuzzinz

Reaction score
So this is more of a general question for all UD8 users...

How much memory do you guys have available on average... and by memory i mean RAM not rom.

Also what general programs are you running

For example i am running the following:
Launcher Pro (no scrolling widgets) 5 homescreens
Agenda Widget (no scrolling)
Beatiful Widgets
wordfeud
smart keyboard pro
handcent sms (w/ pop up)

That is rough list of what is usually running in the background

When it comes to available memory i am usually in the 30-35mb range most of the time. Is this normal... is this the memory usage everyone has?

Thanks!
-Cuzzinz

Issemann

Reaction score
Where are you checking for available/free memory? UD has an area called "Device Info" located within the main Ultimate Droid menu. If I look at that info, I see the following info:
/system
156MB / 248MB

/data
153MB / 748MB

/cache
153MB / 194MB
If I look on the "Running Services" screen, I see:
Other: 40MB in 4
Avail: 154MB + 142MB in 16

OP
cuzzinz

cuzzinz

Reaction score
Where are you checking for available/free memory? UD has an area called "Device Info" located within the main Ultimate Droid menu. If I look at that info, I see the following info:
/system
156MB / 248MB

/data
153MB / 748MB

/cache
153MB / 194MB
If I look on the "Running Services" screen, I see:
Other: 40MB in 4
Avail: 154MB + 142MB in 16

Device info:
/system
29.27MB /140MB

/data
76.4MB / 262MB

/cache
51MB / 92.62MB

In running services i see:
Other: 82MB in 5
Avail: 8.8+26mb in 4

LOL looks like i might need to do a clean install and install each program 1 by 1 from scratch and see what my dealio is. How the hell do you have so much memory free? lol

EDIT: i was looking at Task Manager and looking at how much memory it says i have available

LTLFTCer

Reaction score
What problems are you having?

Here are mine:

system- 24.93/140
data- 116/262
cache- 55.66/92.62

Only issue I have is screen redraws.

OP
cuzzinz

cuzzinz

Reaction score
What problems are you having?

Here are mine:

system- 24.93/140
data- 116/262
cache- 55.66/92.62

Only issue I have is screen redraws.

I get the redraws every once in a while and then dolphin hd crashing on me. Oh and i have an issue where google maps will disable the traffic layer.

Can you post your running services memory info?

The person who posted first seems to have A LOT of available memory.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how much free ram you have showing. Android is nothing like Windows or Rim. It will put apps in ram until it is almost full. These programs are not running, they are simply parked there. They aren't consuming battery power or CPU cycles. Android will then dump them if it needs additional memory for a task you've requested. Once that task is complete and there is a large amount of ram available, Android will load apps back into ram. Android hates free ram. It loads in apps so they will open very, very quickly when you need them. Free ram means nothing.

wingdo

Reaction score
/system
156MB / 248MB
/data
153MB / 748MB
/cache
153MB / 194MB
Device info:
/system
29.27MB /140MB
/data
76.4MB / 262MB
/cache
51MB / 92.62MB

LOL looks like i might need to do a clean install and install each program 1 by 1 from scratch and see what my dealio is. How the hell do you have so much memory free? lol

He has an Incredible and you do not. ;)

OP
cuzzinz

cuzzinz

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how much free ram you have showing. Android is nothing like Windows or Rim. It will put apps in ram until it is almost full. These programs are not running, they are simply parked there. They aren't consuming battery power or CPU cycles. Android will then dump them if it needs additional memory for a task you've requested. Once that task is complete and there is a large amount of ram available, Android will load apps back into ram. Android hates free ram. It loads in apps so they will open very, very quickly when you need them. Free ram means nothing.

Thanks for your feedback... I do understand how linux/android handles memory so that isnt really my total concern more along the lines of what applications people have installed and such.

I never had ANY issues with launcher pro redraw on BB v0.4 or google maps disabling the traffic layer... so i am just trying to get an idea of what the problem might be.

OP
cuzzinz

cuzzinz

Reaction score
/system
156MB / 248MB
/data
153MB / 748MB
/cache
153MB / 194MB
Device info:
/system
29.27MB /140MB
/data
76.4MB / 262MB
/cache
51MB / 92.62MB

He has an Incredible and you do not. ;)

ROFL!!!!! i didnt even think to look at that.... I was thinking that was A LOT of memory HAHAHAHA.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
69mb in 5 and avail 17mb + 46mb in 7

/system 25.84mb /140mb
/data 145mb / 262mb
/cache 59.78/92.62

i have too much crap? Lol

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your feedback... I do understand how linux/android handles memory so that isnt really my total concern more along the lines of what applications people have installed and such.

I never had ANY issues with launcher pro redraw on BB v0.4 or google maps disabling the traffic layer... so i am just trying to get an idea of what the problem might be.

I had tons of redraws with bb.4... rarely with ud8.... ive done away with launcher pro in favor of adw...has been a lot smoother for my droid

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Bilgediver

Reaction score

Except that dumping RAM and loading new RAM does take CPU cycles, and that's what bogs down your phone, especially when redrawing all the time.

My phone guess wrong too many times on what I want to run, so it bogs down constantly while I'm trying to load apps that my phone hasn't pre-loaded. I guess I'm the bad guy here!

OP
cuzzinz

cuzzinz

Reaction score

Except that dumping RAM and loading new RAM does take CPU cycles, and that's what bogs down your phone, especially when redrawing all the time.

My phone guess wrong too many times on what I want to run, so it bogs down constantly while I'm trying to load apps that my phone hasn't pre-loaded. I guess I'm the bad guy here!

LOL that is 100% correct... Also the advantage of killing tasks (which you can do with android) is when programs are partially responding or hanging. Sometimes android will give the system to these apps and the phone is SOOO SLOW.