Automatically sync a file between PC and Droid when changed

FlipBack

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am just wondering if it's possible to automatically have my droid and PC sync a file whenever it is edited. I edit it from both devices nearly everyday and constantly hooking my Droid to my PC is a pain. Is it possible?

Not really sure if this belongs here or in Android Apps. Move it if this is incorrect please.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never "sync" the PC with my Droid.....if you wanna add something just drag and drop the file to the folder on your sdcard...

joeymoose

Reaction score
I believe he is talking about editing a file on a PC and it automatically syncing with the droid and edit the file on the droid.

OP
F

FlipBack

Reaction score
I believe he is talking about editing a file on a PC and it automatically syncing with the droid and edit the file on the droid.
Exactly. I want it to automatically sync when edited (regardless of the device it's edited on).

I am rooted, if being rooted is required for such a thing.

joeymoose

Reaction score
I'm sure it's possible, I don't personally know of any apps that do that. But if you can edit your calender and contacts and have them automatically sync at a scheduled time I'm sure this is possible.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry FlipBack for misunderstanding your question...although I'm not sure such a thing exists...at least not at the moment...but I could be wrong...may just have to do some heavy searching

jk12

Reaction score
sugarsync might be one approach. Have your PC folder synced w/sugarsync. Then install the sugarsync app. You can view (and edit?) the file on droid, etc.

bastosero

Reaction score
This would be nice with at least possibly something along the lines of a bluetooth synching app that could be used with the Droid's bluetooth and the computer's bluetooth.

OP
F

FlipBack

Reaction score
I'm thinking there must be an FTP client to sync from pc to android but I do not know if that would work both ways. Ill check out sugarsync but I'm not sure that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks everybody!

OP
F

FlipBack

Reaction score
SK Sync

I found what I needed. Sounds like it's perfect for my needs. You install an app on the phone and a client on the PC.

I'll try it out tomorrow and report back if anybody needs similar functionality and wants to know how it works out.

jrburkh

Reaction score
Try Dropbox. The developers are working on an Android app, but there is currently an independently developed app called Droidbox available. I've used Dropbox for about two years and it is great, but I can't really tell you how good Droidbox is. When the Dropbox app comes out, I think it will be exactly what you are looking for.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
SK Sync

I found what I needed. Sounds like it's perfect for my needs. You install an app on the phone and a client on the PC.

I'll try it out tomorrow and report back if anybody needs similar functionality and wants to know how it works out.

Would be very interested to know how you like SK Sync as I'm looking for the same functionality. Thanks, FlipBack!

bastosero

Reaction score
I installed SK Sync and I followed all the steps correctly (SK Sync). The problem is when I start to sync the files, nothing happens. It seems like the client on the Droid won't read or can't see the files on my server (which are mp3 files). I've tried several times switching the synchronization configuration, but nothing still happens. It doesn't seem to be a problem with my network either since I can connect to it and it doesn't give me a connection error. I just don't know why it won't detect the files.

Anyway, I did find a bluetooth synching app called Bluetooth File Transfer in the market. I installed and tested it and it works. It doesn't sync automatically though. Plus, obviously you would need a bluetooth connection from you computer.