Automatic brightness

Tmizzle

Reaction score
Does setting your phone to automatic brightness help preserve battery power or does it drain the battery?

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Tmizzle said:
Does setting your phone to automatic brightness help preserve battery power or does it drain the battery?

It depends. If you can deal with it, keeping your brightness turned down below 40% will save your battery more than auto. But if you need to see your screen then auto would be better than keeping it turned up. It really comes down to how and where you use your phone. If your outside all day or in and out use auto. If your inside most of the day keep it turned down. I keep mine at 100% all the time but I have an extended battery.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

edwinmiller

Reaction score
Well, I believe automatic brightness would drain more battery than manual brightness under most situations.

There is a technical reason behind this. See, when you set your phone on automatic brightness, it will use sensor in order to determine the surrounding brightness and prioritise on optimum LCD brightness and accordingly change brightness level. All these make use of CPU cycle and hence battery is consumed.

While in the case of manual setting, no need to use sensor hence less consumption of CPU cycle.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In my case I found auto bright does use more power but there are times during the day I need a brighter screen but the hassle of going to settings to change was annoying. My solution was an app called Auto Bright by Geekyouup. It's a very simple, small and easy to use app with its own widget. I set the manual brightness to my most used, when I need auto I tap the yellow lightbulb icon and auto toggles on. When done , tap it again and auto toggles back off to my previous setting. It's very handy in direct sunlight because it's easy to find. I've included a screenshot of its icon on my home screen. It has saved me a lot of battery vs before I got it. It works on my Rezound, Incredible 1, Nexus7, Tab 1 10.1.
Forgot to add, it's free on the Play store.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Last edited: