Auto-Synch via USB

Discussion in 'CompanionLink Software' started by The Merg, May 30, 2010.

1. The Merg

The Merg New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at going to the Droid, but have reservations due to my usage of Outlook. It appears that CL will solve that issue. I do have one question (for now) though. On the website, it states that you need to go into the CL app and tell to synch and then when it is done you have to acknowledge that. Is there anyway the app can automatically perform the synch process whenever it is plugged in via USB similar to how ActiveSync works with PocketPCs/Windows Mobile devices?

Thanks,
    Merg

2. clcto

clcto Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unforunately, the USB Connection to Android is tenuous. It's not really what Android is designed for, at least not yet. At the moment there is no communication at all. Just mounting the device. So CompanionLink uses that mode. Maybe in a future version Google will add some sort of two-way communication which would allow a closer connection.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.

3. The Merg

The Merg New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So as I understand it, in order to use the USB synch, I need to use the DejaOffice app on the Droid, correct? But I won't lose any functionality as it automatically synchs the Droid e-mail and calendar with it, correct?

How does it handle synching of e-mails though that I have downloaded via my POP account into Outlook and downloading those same e-mails to the Droid? Will it realize those are the same e-mail and not duplicate them on each device?

Thanks,
    Merg

4. clcto

clcto Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Email is handled differently. Email is not a sync operation as much as it downloads to your phone and your PC, but normally doesn't actually move between them. Check with your carrier on how to set up email.

DejaOffice will synchronize Droid Contacts and Calendar via USB. It also adds apps for Tasks and Notes (Memos).

5. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mr. Bruns,

Is CL Software privy to the latest 2.2 update coming for the Droid phones? This is the only shortcoming for this platform that I find the most annoying. I just wonder if you can give us any heads up on what CL has coming for 2.2.

Larry Williams
    Chandler, AZdancedroid

6. clcto

clcto Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Larry, that would be GREAT if developers got a preview. Unfortunately we don't.

However, we are very fast. I've been running 2.2 since last Sunday, and things seem to run fine. Unfortunately 2.2 breaks our "Mount Hack". We had to add "Wait for xx process then hit Ok" it two spots. So with 2.2, USB Sync takes three button taps instead of one. That's a drag and definitely going backward.

I've got some other things I want to look at in 2.2. Whether there is any better Account logic so we don't have to sync to the Google Account. Whether it holds more Contacts in the native Contacts App. Overall, however, I suspect they are not doing work in these directions.

DejaOffice is changing by leaps. Soon there will be Wi-Fi sync which will make mounting obsolete. Eventually we hope to supercede the onboard Contacts list, so the limitations there will not be relevant. Check out DejaOffice Forums for more details. I have a sticky at the top to cover our immediate development path and plans.

7. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your quick response

Mr. Bruns,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I must say, you are the first dev to answer any question I have asked and I don't ask many. I am using the USB version now but will definitely upgrade to the WiFi version. Any thoughts on doing if via BT?

Thanks again.:icon_ banana:

8. The Merg

The Merg New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The USB synch does not need a Google Account to work correct? My understanding was that was a direct synch between the PC with Outlook and the Droid (through DejaOffice). The Wi-Fi synch you refer to, is that also circumventing the Google cloud?

I am trying to perform the synch without the need for a Google account.

Thanks,
    Merg

9. clcto

clcto Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Merg, All Droids need a Google Account. I don't think you can set one up without it.

After setting up, you need to go into your Accounts and Settings, and turn the Sync off. This will insure data you enter on the Droid doesn't go to Google.

That's it! It's just a function of how the device works. All other Smartphones I know of also have some sort of background account; BlackBerry, Palm Pre, etc. So this is not uncommon.

10. The Merg

The Merg New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry. I wasn't clear. I just meant that I don't want anything on my Droid to be synched with the Google account. Your USB synching avoids that, correct? What about your new Wi-Fi synch? Does that rely on the Google cloud to synch?

Thanks,
    Merg

P.S. Getting closer to making the move to Droid. :)

11. clsales

clsales New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Merg,

Yes, both the USB sync and the upcoming wi-fi sync are both completely local, meaning they bypass Google entirely. As long as you turn of Google sync as mentioned above, none of your data will ever hit Google.

12. PDP

PDP New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Merg, I'm of the same persuasion: keep my data local, not in reach of those who hack the cloud. I have been using CompanionLink/DejaOffice for a bit over a month (since I got my HTC Droid Incredible). Very happy with the USB Sync. No issues that have been serious. Definitely up to the job, and I'm a pretty critical user. CL has replaced Chapura used on my Palm Tungsten very well, and the phone support and support in this forum are quite good. The email support is not, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad!

Search tags for this page
“companionlink 4 for outlook”
android-sync crack
companion link outlook cracked

dejaoffice crack