Auto-Sync for Private Email Account

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Steelcitygritty, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Steelcitygritty

Steelcitygritty New Member

I have set up a private email account using my company domain (not GMail). The account is working properly and emails are getting through. They download from the server to both the desktop and the phone. The problem is that the Droid does not sync with the desktop. Therefore, for example, if I delete 30 emails from my phone and then return to my desktop, those 30 are still in my Inbox and I must delete them again. If I want to add an appointment to my calendar, I must enter it twice – once on the phone and once on the desktop. If I send an email from my phone, there is no copy kept so I have no history of it. The phone & desktop do not communicate. It sucks, especially after having auto-sync ability for the past 4 years with Windows Mobile– I have come to expect it.

I don’t know about other providers but the only way to get auto-sync with Verizon is via Windows Mobile, unless you are on a CorporateExchangeServer. I LOVE the Droid but can't live without auto-sync.

Does anyone know of an app or a work-around that can solve this dilemma?
  2. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

what type of account did you set up a POP3 i would imagine from the sound of it?
  3. RichStevenson

RichStevenson New Member

Like New2U said, you probably setup your email account using POP3. You'll want to use IMAP both on your phone and your desktop app.
  4. Steelcitygritty

Steelcitygritty New Member

Yes, POP3. I saw RinTinTigger's post regarding IMAP but wasn't sure if this is what i should do. I'm not much of a techie!
  5. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Yeah if you can set it up using imap, that should fix your problem.
  6. keiichi25

keiichi25 New Member

Might want to read a little on IMAP...

Internet Message Access Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMAP has its pros and cons, as POP3 is the old reliable Mail access protocol, but IMAP has a bit more support.

Depending on who is providing your mail service or how you are doing it, even if you are not a tech type, you should investigate a little on what might work best for you.

Edit:

Hmmm... From the sound of it, it looks like you want to do more than just get your e-mail but also sync with your desktop's Calendar and Contacts. Unfortunately, unless you are using Exchange or the Gmail system, you can't do that 'out of the box'. You will need a third party application to assist you on this. POP3, traditionally, does not support syncing of this method, as pointed out in this article from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Protocol

POP3 is generally for Mail retrieval, but not for contacts or Calendar syncing. IMAP, with some extensions, does support contacts and Calendaring, but that is heavily dependent on how the other end is setup to allow such things.

If you are using Outlook without an Exchange Server, you are looking at needing a third party program that will allow you to sync it up.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
Search tags for this page
android does not sync imap email
auto sync email s4

auto sync private email s4

droid automatic email sync
droid x2 imap sync
how set auto sync e mail droid
how to auto sync gmail account on android phone

how to stop auto sync email andriod

if you phone is auto sync is it private
sync private email