Auto Schedule Conserve Battery, Alarm Clock Mode?

PixelPlex

Reaction score
Is there an app or a way to configure the droid (eris 1.5) so that every night at 11:30 the phone automatically shuts down all unnecessary apps, network connections and anything else draining the battery, turns off all sounds except for the alarm and then wakes me up at 7am with an alarm and automatically turns all the networks and important apps back on for me?

I've been turning the phone to silent mode and airplane mode each night before I go to sleep but I don't know if the alarm will work and I'd rather it do it on a pre-set schedule automatically. The goals here are:

1. get woken up for work
2. not be disturbed while sleeping
3. save battery power
4. still have emergency 911 one touch dial in the middle of the night (I think I have this working with a 911 app).

Any other tips about extending battery life on the droid eris would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The only app that i know that has set times for features is Locale, though that might only be ringtones. Other than that app I don't know any other apps that would have these features, though it would be awesome and I would definitely get and recommend it.

Your idea is great for an app, maybe you should go develop it =P.

skourg3

Reaction score
You can try Locale. It is a free app that lets you configure settings based on event triggers, such as location. I think you can use Time as an event trigger, where you could set it up so that at 11:30 it turns off wifi, etc. and turns off the volume, then at say 6:30 turns the volume back up for your alarm and at 7 restarts the apps. I would verify this for sure, but I didn't particularly find it useful so I uninstalled it for now.

Hopefully this helps.

OP
P

PixelPlex

Reaction score
I'm actually a developer so I just may. Where's the SDK?

cookiemomster

Reaction score
Is there an app or a way to configure the droid (eris 1.5) so that every night at 11:30 the phone automatically shuts down all unnecessary apps, network connections and anything else draining the battery, turns off all sounds except for the alarm and then wakes me up at 7am with an alarm and automatically turns all the networks and important apps back on for me?

I've been turning the phone to silent mode and airplane mode each night before I go to sleep but I don't know if the alarm will work and I'd rather it do it on a pre-set schedule automatically. The goals here are:

1. get woken up for work
2. not be disturbed while sleeping
3. save battery power
4. still have emergency 911 one touch dial in the middle of the night (I think I have this working with a 911 app).

Any other tips about extending battery life on the droid eris would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Try timeriffic. This is the app I am using to keep my phone quiet while sleeping. If I were to use it for your purpose I would turn all volumes back on in the morning. Not sure about dialing out while app is on because I am sleeping and I try not to make any calls while sleeping, not even emergency ones, though the day could come. I will check out calls (not 911 though) and spelling of app, then update.
UPDATE: I was able to make an outgoing call. Again, I am not sure of the special needs of the 911 app, but a call did go through. The spelling of the app is Timeriffic.

Locale was simply to complicated for me. I see it has great potential, but I have so many other apps to learn how to use, that I gave up in one day with locale. Also had some conflicts with other apps, force closes, and forgot what setting were in place so I missed a phone call. timeriffic was much easier for me.

Last edited:

cookiemomster

Reaction score
I'm actually a developer so I just may. Where's the SDK?
Since you are a developer I will spout out my opinion. Locale was way to complicated, even their definitions such as add event or whatever. Timeriffic is fairly simple.

What I would love to see is a widget I tap on my desktop that turns down all sounds and a widget (the same one is fine) that turns them back on. These processes should also turn off wi fi, gps, blue tooth, etc. Simple clean, On or off. Creating a manual process.
The next step would be setting time feature to control this more simplified on/off process. Say 8 pm off 6 pm up. with a notification that phone sound off at 8 and on again at 6. This would prevent people from forgetting that they have this set if their day were to be different than usual for some reason tomorrow. (not sure if an alarm could work with putting the volume back on though?)
Then a person could use advanced setting to more customize their settings but not unless they are really comfortable. Using gps setting to control phone functions can get really wacky if gps is switched from network to gps or a weird weather situation occurred.

blah blah blah. What I am trying to say is get me some basic functionality of your app without too much pain. When I find it works and works well, than I am more willing to discover the more difficult parts. Good luck

Reaction score
I had my BB curve set up to turn off at night and turn back on in the morning. I have no problem turning it off, but I forget to turn it on sometimes at work.
I would like to see an app for this.
Thanks

Fraxinus

Reaction score
So far I'm using Locale in a fairly rudimentary way and not taking advantage of *all* the features it offers. You could definitely use it for what you're asking about PixelPlex. What you could do is this:

- set up a situation called "night"
- add a condition for time (e.g. 11:30pm - 6:30am)
- add a setting management to switch airplane mode on (separate plugin for Locale) - this is what I use to conserve battery life - I don't really want calls in the middle of the night, though others may
- add a setting management to turn volume to silent and turn vibrate off (if you wish)
- open your alarm clock app and set the alarm to ring in silent mode (if the alarm is set to go off before your volume comes back up)

I'm on vacation away from my house (and my regular "dumb" alarm clock) and have used the alarm in silent mode option the last couple nights. It works perfectly and I'm not interrupted at night with annoying Gmail notifications etc.

OP
P

PixelPlex

Reaction score
My alarm works in silent mode and I don't see a setting for that. Fine with me, but just wanted to note that I have no setting to control this. Perhaps its because my Eris is only Android 1.5?

OP
P

PixelPlex

Reaction score
BTW Keep the app ideas coming. I'm starting a company and we may have the bandwidth to build some mobile apps. :)

Fraxinus

Reaction score
ahh, my apologies - very possible. I'm on the moto droid w/ 2.0.1. The setting is simply in Alarm-->Settings so I'm sure you would have seen it.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
I haven't seen this option anywhere in the settings but I assume it could be accessed through the API. It would be nice to be able to switch 3g on/off. Admittedly I wouldn't want to do this often, but if one is in a situation where battery life is critical and willing to switch off background data, an option to only use a lower speed data connection might be good.