Auto Memory Manager - have you tried it?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JFDroid, Mar 29, 2010.

1. JFDroid

JFDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The task-killer vs no task-killer argument is as old as nature vs. nuture... well, no, but anyway, it's a big issue for most people. Are these things good to use or do they cause more harm than not?

After discovering the application "Auto Memory Manager" (there's at least one other thread about this on these forums - I did do a search) I can say the question has been answered: I don't see any need for a task manager after using Auto Memory Manager.

Root access is required, though no custom ROM is necessary if you like to keep your stock theme but are okay with rooting.

Anyway, here's what I noticed after using it:

My phone is much smoother scrolling between pages. It flies when switching between applications and maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me, but I feel that it's even slightly faster when web browsing. Really, any task you would want to do can be done more quickly. Plus, I feel that I am able to actually multi-task without killing the CPU or reducing my memory to 0 and making the phone feel completely slow and useless.

Under the settings, I used the "mild" preset and slid the bar further right (to 50) for "hidden applications" - and I have a 7 page homescreen using helix launcher with over 15 widgets, including news & weather, music, pandora, pure calendar agenda, pure message, and a few other memory-intensive widgets. I always had lag, even with a 1.2 ghz Low Voltage OC'd kernel/ROM (using Bugless Beast right now - but I have used Koush's ROM for a while too) and regardless of my settings with SetCPU, I have always had homescreen lag.

I haven't had an ounce of homescreen lag since installing Auto Memory Manager and uninstalling my task killer (Advanced Task Killer).

If you find that your phone is still less zippy than you like, go ahead and uninstall your task killer and install Auto Memory Manager and see what happens. I'd recommend trying mild settings first, and if you don't like that, try aggressive settings.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to spread awareness to the hacking community (hence why I created this thread in the hacking section and not in the applications section) that there may, for some people, be a better option than using a task killer.

And, over the course of the day, I've noticed better battery life. Coupled with a Low Voltage kernel, I'm experiencing some insane battery life. Once again, I'm very impressed with the Droid.

2. vearix

vearix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried it out on the mild setting and my phone is significantly smoother in screen changes.

3. Gimic26

Gimic26 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Things do seem to be much smoother. I'm liking this app so far.

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I tried it when I was running Droidmod 1.0. I didn't see it do a darn thing and I tried several settings. I was looking for something to reduce battery usage but it didn't seem to help at all. I even tried maximum. Nothing.

5. bdr0023

bdr0023 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Uninstalled auto task killer, trying this right now. Definitely noticeable speed difference. Running SG6@1.1

6. Phoxus

Phoxus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Auto Memory Manager (Aggressive) on my phone is like a Godmode.

7. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Folks, all it is doing is modifying the parameters for the memory manager controlled by the kernel. So, in short, it shuts things down quicker in the background to keep more ram free.

I use MinFreeManager, and some of the ROM devs have their scripts that do the same.

For the particular app this thread is about--I don't see an option to apply at boot.

If it doesn't apply every boot, it only works per session. Keep that in mind.

8. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

Ratings:
    +5
    +1 . I do see a slight improvement. I am using mild and moved the hidden applications slider over to 50 so far. I am running DM 1.0.

9. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    MinFreeManager did the exact opposite of what everyone else experienced here, it totally slowed down my phone. I tried all three presets and it lagged like crazy where as without it it was really fast as it is, so I was skeptical of it making my phone faster.

Im running the latest CyanogenMod @ 1 GHz with helix launcher.

10. bomber889

bomber889 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think that there is a small difference? Not sure though

11. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Like what?

I am 99.99% sure it does the same exact thing as MinFreeManager does.

12. thorn11166

thorn11166 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    is there a way to set an app so it will not get shut down when its doing this? i am always having to resign into fring and meebo when i use this or MinFreeManager

Search tags for this page
auto memory manager
auto memory manager aggressive
auto memory manager droid x
auto memory manager droid x2

auto memory manager review

auto memory manager reviews
auto memory manager vs advanced task killer
best settings for auto memory manager
memory manager preset
mengatur auto memory manager