Auto-Location feature NOT auto locating

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by tfkennady, May 29, 2010.

1. tfkennady

tfkennady Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love BB 1.1, but I'm having problems getting my applications that use auto-location to auto locate my position (i.e. my weather widget and web browser). I read through a lot of posts on here with no luck. I've tried playing around with Location and Security settings toggling (use wireless networks and GPS satellites) and nothing. I noticed this on BB 1.0 and it seems to have carried over to 1.1. Is this typical for bugless or am I missing something or don't have a setting correct?

2. loophole

loophole Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same issue with just a few apps. One of them being parallel kingdom, would really like to get this game working on my phone. The brower and google maps recognizes my location but when I open up parallel kingdom it keeps saying can't find location ( go to google maps and see if it finds your location if it does come back and try again ) which it always does but when I come back it gives the same message repeatedly. Will be following this thread to see if there's a solution. GL

3. tfkennady

tfkennady Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried reloading the rom as well as updating the baseband through rom manager and OTA with no luck. maybe this will have to be forwarded to Pete for him to take a look at it. When I open google maps up it locates my position fine.

I did read somewhere that some applications use the network (i.e. web browser) for auto-locating and others use GPS (i.e. google maps/earth) and some apps use both.

I'm wondering if this is a bug or just a random fluke on mine and your rom installations.

4. stark23x

stark23x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also having problems along these lines - with Locale, specifically...it's the only app that marks my position about 3 blocks from where I actually am. All other apps seem to be pulling my location accurately.

5. tfkennady

tfkennady Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well with any GPS or positioning system there is accuracy deviation, most modern GPSs are accurate to within 100ft or so, some a 1000ft, usually older systems. (I bet if you looked into it a little bit more you'd find the small print that says what the actual deviation is.) Obviously it depends on how well your phone is tracking the satellites (additionally the number of satellites it can see) and/or calculating the triangulation of your position from your local network towers. The deviation your experiencing seems to be normal in my opinion. I have experienced this from time to time my self but it seems the longer you wait the more accurate it becomes, I guess it can recalculate and adjust accordingly.

a little background info on myself so i don't just sound like another jackass know-it-all on a forum lol. My job is the Air Force is RF Systems technician (basically I fix everything from Satellite Telecommunications equipment to Radios, GPS units and much much more) I've been doing this job for about 10 years and have a lot of experience due to the nature of my position there. Even the GPSs that we use every day to pin-point locations 22,600 miles in space (a lot of satellites are about this distance from earth) aren't accurate lol, kinda funny right?

6. stark23x

stark23x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I would agree it's just drift and not worry, but the weird thing is this: Sitting here in the my chair I can open Maps using GPS and it puts me in my neighbor's house 20 feet away at worst. Often it's right smack at my own address. Then I open Locale and try to get it to locate me (again, using GPS not wifi, sitting right in the same spot) and it puts me 3-4 blocks away.

It was NOT doing this before I moved to BB 1.1, before that it was really, exceptionally, almost unerringly accurate. I can't say it's definitely Bugless 1.1, I am so very much not an expert in any of this. In fact I'm not an expert in much of anything except how to program my remote. :)

Also, and most certainly not least, thank you for your service!

7. GeLopez

GeLopez Member

Ratings:
    +8
    look for my post about the fix. I'm posting from Droid

8. tfkennady

tfkennady Member

Ratings:
    +0
    that's odd that it's accuracy has diminished, i'm not experiencing that at all, i would say if anything after i did the baseband update my accuracy has gotten better not to mention i have coverage inside the building i work (that's a big deal considering we're not supposed to be able to get coverage in there and i wasn't until i did the update). Hopefully somebody smarter than you and me can answer our problems lol. I can deal with this for now, and I'm sure you agree that being rooted though it has it's "bugs" is better than anything stock.

9. tfkennady

tfkennady Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for your response, could you post the link in this thread please? thanks again for the help.

10. tfkennady

tfkennady Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. tfkennady

tfkennady Member

Ratings:
    +0
    got desperate and tried the *228 programming OTA, it updated successfully but didnt fix my problem, not that i thought it would lol

12. GeLopez

GeLopez Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yes that's the link. My auto location works perfectly fine. Using bb1.1 800 kernel and nextheme.

The last thing I would suggest is to check if you guys are really signed in into maps
    To check go to maps/menu"button with three little lines"/more/sign in

13. GeLopez

GeLopez Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yes that's the link. My auto location works perfectly fine. Using bb1.1 800 kernel and nextheme.

The last thing I would suggest is to check if you guys are really signed in into maps
    To check go to maps/menu"button with three little lines"/more/sign in

14. tfkennady

tfkennady Member

Ratings:
    +0

Double and triple checked that i was signed into my Google Maps account and of course i was, the accuracy was outstanding as it put me not only at my address but when i pulled up the satellite image layer it put me exactly where i was standing in my yard lol

the weather widget i use is the paid version of "Weather & Toggle widget" for whatever reason has not "auto-located" since i rooted my phone, not too concerned about that cause i can always update where i am manually, however the native "Google Browser" does concern me cause i like the convenience of it knowing where i am at all times. I'm stuck at this point i guess.

thanks again for your suggestion.

15. stark23x

stark23x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's such an odd bug for me, anyway...Maps and other geolocators work fine. I use The Weather Channel app, and I rolled it back to the last known good version and that is geolocating me via GPS as well, but Locale simply doesn't (and it did before the BB1.1 upgrade).

I can only assume that for some reason beyond my ken, they don't speak well to each other. However, I found a plugin that tracks cell towers and/or access points and that has my "Home" situation sorted out very nicely.

And to me, that is the beautiful thing about Android. You can almost always find a problem if you look hard enough, but then you can also find a solution. :)

Search tags for this page
gps hack for parallel kingdom
gps hack parallel kingdom
hack gps parallel kingdom
hack location in parallel kingdom
how to gps hack parallel kingdom
how to hack parallel kingdom
locate my droid how to use autolocate
parallel kingdom auto bot
parallel kingdom bot

parallel kingdom gps hack