Auto Correction?

luckmylife

Reaction score
Hey I searched for an answer (sounds dramatic, huh) on these forums but couldn't find it, I though the Droid was supposed to automatically correct miss-spelled words? Is it supposed to do this for SMS as well? I have Handcent and tried to find it in Settings, didn't see anything about it, and then checked on the Settings for the whole device but it won't correct any miss-spelled words. Really annoying cause I like the on-screen keyboards a lot but then I'll notice that I hit the wrong letter waaaay up top and have to fix it.... I know it's nothing big but it is an annoyance that I'd like to see fixed.

Any (by any I mean good :)) help/advice is appreciated!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
settings, scroll to the bottom, click auto text settings, check the two boxes in there.

OP
luckmylife

luckmylife

Reaction score
Yep, did that earlier and still doesn't correct my spelling. Thanks for the reply though :)

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
no problem:D put swype on yur phone and you'll never need to correct anything lol

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey I searched for an answer (sounds dramatic, huh) on these forums but couldn't find it, I though the Droid was supposed to automatically correct miss-spelled words? Is it supposed to do this for SMS as well? I have Handcent and tried to find it in Settings, didn't see anything about it, and then checked on the Settings for the whole device but it won't correct any miss-spelled words. Really annoying cause I like the on-screen keyboards a lot but then I'll notice that I hit the wrong letter waaaay up top and have to fix it.... I know it's nothing big but it is an annoyance that I'd like to see fixed.

Any (by any I mean good :)) help/advice is appreciated!
The on screen keyboard has the option to correct commonly misspelled words and auto-text suggestion box.
The physical keyboard has the option to correct commonly misspelled words but does not have the auto text suggestion box.

OP
luckmylife

luckmylife

Reaction score
I've got everything set to the correction settings but it still doesn't correct anything... is it supposed to correct the spelling as you go? I don't know why this isn't working.

abailiff

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my physical keyboard since the firmware update.

Benton

Reaction score
This is likely a settings issue since there is not universal consistency in the results. My auto correction does work on SMS with virtual keyboard and not with physical keyboard, my preference. I use Android keyboard with bottom four options for this keyboard checked in its settings. My physical keyboard settings are all checked.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The on screen keyboard corrects much more than the physical keyboard. It's just the way it is. The physical keyboard will fix words like 'the' and other common mistakes, but won't give you the wide range of correction that the suggestion box will on the on screen keyboard.

iclickjohn

Reaction score
Yeah, that auto correct made me look stupid so many times. In SMS texting some chick and it changes the words to some totally wrong word. And they are texting back, WHAT??? So now I have to REALLY check everything and sometimes go back to put my spelling back in the way I want it (after it auto corrects) Can you turn the auto correct off but still have the auto suggestion left on? That is the way I'd like it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, that auto correct made me look stupid so many times. In SMS texting some chick and it changes the words to some totally wrong word. And they are texting back, WHAT??? So now I have to REALLY check everything and sometimes go back to put my spelling back in the way I want it (after it auto corrects) Can you turn the auto correct off but still have the auto suggestion left on? That is the way I'd like it.

Yes you can. For the virtual keyboard you can disable the "quick fixes" box and the auto complete box. The suggestion box will still show :) And in the device keyboard setting just disable the "auto-replace" box.

BoltFan

Reaction score
Is there a way to update the auto-correct word list? Like, for example, add in the word "I'll"?