Australian Apple Store Occupied by Paid Samsung Protestors

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;Ldq2tNLRDwA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ldq2tNLRDwA[/video]​

Could this be a case of taking a marketing campaign too far? Apparently, Samsung hired a group of "mock" protestors to stand outside an Apple Store in Australia to try and get the iSheep to "Wake Up." At least, that is what they were chanting and it also happens to be the main and only message on an Australian-based Samsung sponsored website found here: Wake Up.

Up until now, Samsung's marketing campaign has been a subtle and humorous way to poke gentle fun at Apple fans. Now, things could be pushing the envelop on good taste. In fact, not only could this new marketing tactic be stepping over the line, it is ultimately a bit hypocritical. This very same cult-like culture of unbridled fandom with Apple is precisely what Samsung is trying to eventually create with their own products. Will they one day be hiring protestors to stand outside their own stores trying to get sSheep to "Wake Up"?

It is important to note that this particular campaign is a separate marketing gimmick created by an Australian marketing firm called Tongue, and that it is only going on in Australia, so far. Perhaps it's mostly harmless and humorous to see the lengths to which companies will go in order to lure customers away from the competition. Share your opinion.

Source: Android and Me

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
My goodness, the fact that Samsung is even willing to pay for this is proof that people place way too much of their personal identification and status as a human being in their phones... it's become worse than cars, IMHO.

edit: maybe I'm just in a bad mood today... lol

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Samsung's got some balls over in Australia. Remember last year at the iPhone 4S announcement over in Australia they stood outside and sold like .99 GS2 to people.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least their doing something. They're getting a lot of hate for this but you gotta take risks sometimes. However, I don't like how the whole "Wake Up" thing isn't very clear for the average consumer.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least their doing something. They're getting a lot of hate for this but you gotta take risks sometimes. However, I don't like how the whole "Wake Up" thing isn't very clear for the average consumer.

I just now got to watch this with sound. I assumed there was something in there about the GS2/3, or heck, even the iPhone... but yeah, vague at best.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Am I the only person who thinks this was cool/creative?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What would be really funny is if the protestors got the store wrong, as in protesting outside of one of Sammie's stores....since, you know, the stores are Apple rip-offs. :D

But in all honesty this is a little pathetic. You don't usually grow your consumer base or take market share by insulting potential new customers.

npro1464

Reaction score
They are trying to recreate the Droid 1 launch and failing miserably. The smoke is gone and everyone knows what each phone is about.

EDIT- I like that Kevin Smith

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have the best dumb idea ever!!!! The apple employees should protest the protesters and give em all a sample bottle of iclean lmao..

Told ya it was dumb!!!! Bwaahahahaa

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!