Aukey Bluetooth Headphones Review

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by mountainbikermark, Sep 2, 2016.

1. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B63KHCA/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    For those who didn't know I found these while looking for more I'd gotten from another thread. This isn't a special deal , the $17.99 is regular price.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I took the photos while they were in the box to show, hopefully, how black the black is against the off white packing. There's no chrome or any other color accents anywhere, just semi flat stealth black all over. I really like that.
    I'll be comparing the rest to the Tones+ (model 730) that I've had for years.
    The neck band on the new ones is thicker and a bit more stiff than the 730 but that seems to make them stay in place a little better when moving around without the buds in the ears. My Tones always flop to 1 side over time when they're not plugged in to my head. This could also partly be because the Aukeys are notably lighter and weight is distributed evenly across the entire set and not heavy at the front, light at the neck band. This was also nicer when laying down with them on. The feel is like cheap plastic but carbon fiber feels like cheap plastic to my old worn out finger tips so don't take that as a bad thing.
    The buttons are; callanswer/end/voice commands on the left top and the volume toggle buttons on the left side. Right is next previous track on the side and play/pause on the right top. All buttons are much less pronounced and actually a pretty cool way they recessed them makes getting used to the difference only minutes with no fumbling trying to find the proper button. A much lower profile overall that again goes well when the color. They are easy to find and you can feel whether they've reached the point of desired reaction without a doubt. The power on/off is on the inside of the left and pokes out, unlike everything else but since it's not seen it doesn't take away from the low key look. Controls caused instant action with no delays or long presses needed to change functions. Charge port is on the inner right and is sealed with a silicone (?) plug with a little nub to get even a fingernail that's cut to the quick easy to get the cover open. Standard micro usb plug and the unit includes a cord but no wall wart. I haven't charged them yet so I don't know any times yet but I've been using them over an hour and they haven't died our alerted that they're near power down
    Pairing was auto when I turned them on the first time because I'd already set the phone to scan. No codes or anything.
    Now let's get to the sound. I listened to them at 1/4 volume.
    If you like bass you'll love these BUT as always the first thing I do when I get a new set of in ear buds is change the bud from medium to large for an extra tight fit and better bass . I also lick the buds before using the first time so they literally stick to my inner ear from moment 1. See that they never need licking again unless I wash them with soap and water. Bass is tight and very slightly on the muddy side but is easily fixed with an eq tweak. Mids and vocals are natural, especially male vocals in the tenor range. Baritone is a little muddy without help from the eq. Bass drums sound like being outdoors at an amphitheater. The bass guitar in Broken Wings and Walking on the Moon sounded nice and clean without rumble that too much bass adds.
    Highs are a little on the muddy side without help but hihats don't sound tinny, s's don't hiss , sound harsh or like the singer has a speech impediment even when tweaked up to remove the mud. Same thing with snare drums. I noticed this in Paradise City.
    Stereo separation has come a ton with Bluetooth over the last half decade from sounding almost monolithic to as wide, open and airy as any corded of the same caliber and these don't disappoint either. I'm not looking to get my a$$ kicked with my music, brain trauma or be yelled at by some bleach blonde that can't carry a tune in a bucket attempting to belt out some fakeass country blather just because someone plays a violin (fiddle is the proper term btw) and a steel guitar. I like my mellow Tears for Fears, jazz, gospel , classical, and some first generation rap before it turned angry. Toss in a little Zep, Motley Crew, etc to make me move my head back and forth and I'm golden.
    When changing tracks the headphones made a very slight beep confirmation tone. No volume change beep wss there though. A ladies voice says when they're powered on, connected and powering off .
    These inexpensive buds are more than acceptable across all platforms and sound just like my Tones+ at about 1/4 the price.
    If you've got any questions other than about my taste in music I'll be happy to attempt to answer.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4

<><

• Like Like x 1
  2. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Oh the magnets are stronger than the Tones+ but not so much they'll be hard to remove from their dock. They don't fall out at just a thought but also aren't difficult to get out.
    Hopefully these photos will add more detail to the look
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice no huge annoying circle around the call button that blasts out a super bright blue light. Only a tiny dot on the inside shows the status.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4

<><

#2 mountainbikermark, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  3. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I used them for phone calls today and with the most discerning one I ever talk to, my wife, was one of them. I was outside when talking to her and it was a bit breezy from the remnants of hurricane whoever off shore but she didn't even realize I was on Bluetooth (she ALWAYS fusses at me when I use anything but my Jabra Motion) . I got incoming calls and a tap of the button worked like a charm. Music paused when the phone rang and the female voice gave the phone number but I'd already looked at the caller id on my watch . The ringtone was a cute little diddy and it didn't just forward my phones tone through. Some might or might not like that tidbit.
    These are gonna be some nice all around I suppose.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4

<><

• Like Like x 1
  4. gcollins

gcollins New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    S6
    Great information. Thanks for sharing this.