Augen's 7" Android Tablet hits K-Mart stores this week for $149

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I called the kmart close to my home and she said TODAY they've had 10-15 calls. She suggested coming in for a raincheck, she expects a delivery Friday morning and to call around 10am. I'll call even though I'll be at work... maybe I'll need to take an early, longer lunch.

I really would like a dedicated e-reader, but something more then just an e-reader. I can and do like to read on my Droid1, but somthing larger would be nice and I wouldn't have to use my cell phone battery on it (although it doesn't use that much it seems). Plus I could watch movies on it (again, not use up the batter on my cell phone--I like watching tv series at lunch, I bought some DVD's just for this reason).

Oh one suggestion if you call kmart, ask for electronics... I asked about the " 7" Android Tablet for $149" the first lady asked "the what?" so I said "a computer, electronics type thing".

Kmart95

Reaction score
Seems nice, for 150 bucs I could give it to my daughter to watch you tube in the car that is connected to my rooted droid.

2 Problems with that....

1. You Tube is limited on Android 2.1. Skyfire helps to bridge the gap a lot, but not completely.

2. Android devices cannot see ad-hoc networks. Why does this pertain to Augen 7? Because, the Droid (right now anyway) can only broadcast an ad-hoc wireless signal with the wireless tether app. Froyo is suppose to have built-in wi-fi hotspot functions that broadcast a infrastructure signal (don't get me started on that), but that isn't available yet on the Droid.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up, unless you have a mi-fi device up and running. Then you can go crazy.

Did you forget about the youtube app that all android phones come with and im asuming this will too?

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Experience with the device posted from a technical user on <a href="http://blogs.mykmart.com/2010/07/augen-7-inch-android-tablet-update.html">Kmart's Blog</a>:

Posted by: Andy | 07/28/2010 at 02:18 PM
Sucked... had to return it... had 10 bad pixels and a power issue confirmed by calling augen tech support...
Everythinig else with the device is a known issue as confirmed with augen. they said they needed a firmware update:
- touchscreen unresponsive and no option to calibrate even though the manual says you can
- standby issues and crashing
- once in standby you can nit use audio. videos and sounds play back as high pitch static
- cant reset user data
- manual and device do not match up; options missing
- power light doesn't exist
- cant download from android marketplace.
- cant open pdf files with built in viewer... freezes
- you have 277mb of storage on device after everything is installed from factory. need SD card
- sd card slot doesnt work... every card i actually got in it got suck and had to use tweezers to get out
- and i can go on....
I am a computer technician... i wasnt expecting much for $150 bucks, but i was expecting basic functionality!

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Looks like Augen is quick to respond to some of the current issues however:

Dear Kmart Shoppers, Thank you for showing your support and interest in our GENTOUCH78 Tablet. We became aware of the technical difficulties over the past 24 hours, and we will be posting an update for a patch to the software at the following link: AUGEN ELECTRONICS CORP - Kayako SupportSuite Help Desk Software under latest download files within the next 48 hours.
Just to mention a few technical difficulties we have found and are patching are:
the memory size of 284mb not being shown as 2GB will be corrected as this is a glitch in the software.
Android Market place not being able to download apps will be fixed in this patch, as this is a glitch in the software. As of right now the operating system and pre-loaded applications are using .5 Gb so the available space displayed should be approximately 1.5GB.
To solve the issue with the headphone jack being to small for a 3.5 mm headphone connection, we ask you to send us an email to [email protected] with your Name, Adress, eMail Adress along with a proof of purchase. We will be sending you at our expense the 2.5 mm headphones to go along with the unit within 15-20 days.
Thank you for your support,
Daniel Gofman
Vice President
Augen Electronics Corp.

BeADroid

Reaction score
Looks like Augen is quick to respond to some of the current issues however:

Dear Kmart Shoppers, Thank you for showing your support and interest in our GENTOUCH78 Tablet. We became aware of the technical difficulties over the past 24 hours, and we will be posting an update for a patch to the software at the following link: AUGEN ELECTRONICS CORP - Kayako SupportSuite Help Desk Software under latest download files within the next 48 hours.
Just to mention a few technical difficulties we have found and are patching are:
the memory size of 284mb not being shown as 2GB will be corrected as this is a glitch in the software.
Android Market place not being able to download apps will be fixed in this patch, as this is a glitch in the software. As of right now the operating system and pre-loaded applications are using .5 Gb so the available space displayed should be approximately 1.5GB.
To solve the issue with the headphone jack being to small for a 3.5 mm headphone connection, we ask you to send us an email to [email protected] with your Name, Adress, eMail Adress along with a proof of purchase. We will be sending you at our expense the 2.5 mm headphones to go along with the unit within 15-20 days.
Thank you for your support,
Daniel Gofman
Vice President
Augen Electronics Corp.
It is nice to see a company trying to take care of the consumer for a change..... as for this being an Ipad killer, I do not think this was ever ment to be. This is a perfect example of the whole android philosphy in my opinion. which seems to be one of getting the tech out in the consumers hands NOW, and refineing on the go. Instead of sitting in the lab and shops for evah.... while we are waiting for the latest and greatest that never comes.
the more reviews i see, the greater this appeals to me. not as an ipad killer, but as a functional android device that will be fun to play with use, with out breaking the bank. I am heading to kmart this weekend, for the device or a raincheck. Just my 2 cents.

K

killabyte

ahh so now it's a good thing to sell an unfinished product? there's a long standing argument over this type of thing. it's one thing for bugs to pop up and arise AFTER using something but straight out the box? that's a bad sign for sure.

how can they sell you something that they know isn't 100% functional? i was a little excited over this but i'll be passing. there will be others later on that will be even nicer and will be in a comparable price range.

fishstick600

Reaction score
It looks like a neat little toy but I wanted it to watch movies on and just from watching the unboxing I don't even think it could handle youtube

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I just called my local K-mart and they did not have them in stock. I called another one about 45 minutes away and the guy said he has 2 of them. He is putting one to the side for me with my name on it. I am going to pick it up this evening and see how I like it. I think this will be my birthday gift to myself. Tomorrow I'll be 39.

I'll post my thoughts after some play time. I also got a Kodak zi8 for my birthday, so if I can take a video and load it up, I will.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I just called my local K-mart and they did not have them in stock. I called another one about 45 minutes away and the guy said he has 2 of them. He is putting one to the side for me with my name on it. I am going to pick it up this evening and see how I like it. I think this will be my birthday gift to myself. Tomorrow I'll be 39.

I'll post my thoughts after some play time. I also got a Kodak zi8 for my birthday, so if I can take a video and load it up, I will.

Agh I was hopping I was lucky like you. I called another Kmart and she said "it's next week's ad". I questioned her, but she was firm. I don't have the actual paper but I did look online. It was the for the exact address and zip code. I think they're out of stock. I'll go to the other one and get a rain check and call on Friday.

Dan_08

Reaction score
Seems nice, for 150 bucs I could give it to my daughter to watch you tube in the car that is connected to my rooted droid.

2 Problems with that....

1. You Tube is limited on Android 2.1. Skyfire helps to bridge the gap a lot, but not completely.

2. Android devices cannot see ad-hoc networks. Why does this pertain to Augen 7? Because, the Droid (right now anyway) can only broadcast an ad-hoc wireless signal with the wireless tether app. Froyo is suppose to have built-in wi-fi hotspot functions that broadcast a infrastructure signal (don't get me started on that), but that isn't available yet on the Droid.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up, unless you have a mi-fi device up and running. Then you can go crazy.

Thanks for the clarification, so is that why i couldn't connect my droid to a friends iPad?

Daver

Reaction score
Picked one up on the way home from work...just found time to mess with it. I'm not very impressed, ill see if they release some useful updates, but my hopes aren't very high. Its hard to tell if its a little sluggish, or the touchscreen is just that bad. Based on loading pages and opening apps, I think its just the touchscreen. For the price ill hang onto it and see if someone doesn't root it etc so I can mod it lol

B3y0ndD34th

Reaction score
This product will not be an iPad killer, and not even in the same league. More like a high tech e-Reader with Android OS capabilities. Good entry level tho. It won't replace a laptop, just something to add to a techie's list of gadgets.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. the specs are decent like people have said, comparable to the Droid... but the Droid is a PHONE it makes PHONE CALLS this is a tablet PC that means it needs to hold up to the every day wear that a computer goes through. I love my laptop and I've been waiting for a device to take it's place for years... we need something more long the lines of a PC that runs android. However I think it's a step in the right direction hopefully this kicks the ass of some company's and gets the ball rolling so we can see some REAL development with some android devices.

Personally I'm wanting to make a carputer with some android ties... we'll see when technology permits.

RemyL75

Reaction score

2 Problems with that....

Did you forget about the youtube app that all android phones come with and im asuming this will too?

Not at all, but I also did not forget he's getting this for his daughter. And I am working within the box that most kids will look for the full-blown YouTube website instead of an app that while it shows videos, do not give them access to the full site.

RemyL75

Reaction score

2 Problems with that....

Thanks for the clarification, so is that why i couldn't connect my droid to a friends iPad?
iPad should have worked, as (from what i have heard/read) it can see ad-hoc networks. I have seen posts in tablet forums of people using their Droid to wireless tether to an iPad. While an unholy union to some, it was working and they were happy.

Dan_08

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RemyL75
should have worked, as (from what i have heard/read) it can see ad-hoc networks. I have seen posts in tablet forums of people using their Droid to wireless tether to an iPad. While an unholy union to some, it was working and they were happy.

He was showing off his iPad, so i had to one up him and said look you can actually use it while tethering to a droid! Funny though his iPad was having "software" problems, but he did connect his iPhone to the droid and said it was faster than the 3g he normally gets.