Augen's 7" Android Tablet hits K-Mart stores this week for $149

xconwayx

Reaction score
Just found this:

Quick Augen Review

We should be seeing more reviews soon :icon_ banana:

After watching that video, I am torn. I could go buy one from Kmart, but the video somewhat turned me off. It did seem laggy, although that needs a long swipe to go between home screens and he did hold his finger for the allocated time to bring up the menu.

The hardware isn't terrible. 512MB RAM 800MHz Proc, 2GB built in with Wifi. My question is it a full internet browser, which is advertised, but would we get mobile facebook? The whole landscape only mode is a turn off as well.

Can anyone help turn me on to this?

Dan_08

Reaction score
Seems nice, for 150 bucs I could give it to my daughter to watch you tube in the car that is connected to my rooted droid.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Seems nice, for 150 bucs I could give it to my daughter to watch you tube in the car that is connected to my rooted droid.

2 Problems with that....

1. You Tube is limited on Android 2.1. Skyfire helps to bridge the gap a lot, but not completely.

2. Android devices cannot see ad-hoc networks. Why does this pertain to Augen 7? Because, the Droid (right now anyway) can only broadcast an ad-hoc wireless signal with the wireless tether app. Froyo is suppose to have built-in wi-fi hotspot functions that broadcast a infrastructure signal (don't get me started on that), but that isn't available yet on the Droid.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up, unless you have a mi-fi device up and running. Then you can go crazy.

RemyL75

Reaction score
After watching that video, I am torn. I could go buy one from Kmart, but the video somewhat turned me off. It did seem laggy, although that needs a long swipe to go between home screens and he did hold his finger for the allocated time to bring up the menu.

The hardware isn't terrible. 512MB RAM 800MHz Proc, 2GB built in with Wifi. My question is it a full internet browser, which is advertised, but would we get mobile facebook? The whole landscape only mode is a turn off as well.

Can anyone help turn me on to this?

Well, for the landscape mode, I believe there are ereader apps that change the orientation. I will look into this because I plan to use this for ereading (if I can actually get one lol). I assume the same browser that is in 2.1 (dolphin I think) is going to be used for this tablet. If not, I plan on using skyfire. As for facebook, again, I plan on installing the app to see if it will work. Only way to know for sure is to try. And if it doesn't fit your needs/wants, there is that 90-day return policy.

As far as the specs go, they are close to the Droid's specs. So I dunno about the slowness. Also keep in mind, I am following at least 2 tablet communities that are chomping at the bit to get one of these in their hands and hack the crap outta it. So there is always room for improvement. Keep all of those things in mind while you are deciding whether or not to purchase.

cyates

Reaction score
Here is a youtube unboxing video

[video=youtube;pfha5r6law0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfha5r6law0"]youtube unboxing vid[/video].

I'll let you draw your own conclusions :)

Reaction score
After watching that, I'd have to say this is NOT the tablet I'll be getting. I'll wait for one of the better ones. The Resistive touch screen is the killer for me. It's a neat product but a little too weak for me.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
the resistive screen kills it, also this does not look like Android 2.1... more like 1.6 with a "faked" build.prop. anyone with me?

Hudson922

Reaction score
Well at least someone has put out a tablet that runs 2.1 with Market access that's definitely a step in the right direction. Not to surprised it’s one of the cheap Chinese tablets at a very good price for a tablet. Hopefully we’ll start seeing some higher quality Android tablets on the market soon. I could be temped into getting one if they are rooted and somebody puts out some good ROM’s for it.

nerdkill

Reaction score
this is a step in the right direction, but not right for me. being sold at k-mart gives me a bad feeling too. i'm really looking forward to quality tablets though. i think this would be good for a kid though?