Augen's 7" Android Tablet hits K-Mart stores this week for $149

fishstick600

Reaction score
i just got off the phone with my local Kmart and was told to check back on wednesday and she didnt know why it was being advertised because no one had them yet.. but she knew what i was talking about and said if not mid week most likely this weekend.. Ill have to see if they let me play around with one first and if it has the 90day guarantee ill most likely get one just to give apple a big middle finger. The price tag on this is great as long as its not a total piece of junk

ntraft

Reaction score
wait, i thought google wasnt allowing tablets to have market yet?

They have been allowing tablets to access the Marketplace... IF they meet the requirements that Google set for tablets.

But as far as I have been able to find so far, NO tablets that meet those requirements are for sale yet. Does anyone know of one that is out in the wild or soon to be, either in the US or abroad??? I have been trying like crazy to find an example of one.

Also, re: all the people who think the price is great and are talking about an iPad killer, well.... the price is pretty good, but notice that the meagre website they currently have says nothing about bluetooth or GPS, both of which come standard on the iPad. Also notice the slower processor, the lower resolution and smaller screen. They don't even mention anything about an accelerometer (I assume they'll have one, but there's no guarantee).

I assume they don't have a camera, bluetooth, or GPS, because otherwise they would advertise them. The funny thing is that according to the current Android Compatibility Definition Document, an Android device CANNOT have access to Android Market unless it has ALL these things! And you know what else I can't find on any of these Photoshop-mocked pictures of it? The Home, Back, and Menu navigation keys! If nothing else, these are absolutely required for an operational Android device.

So either something is amiss here or Augen is unbelievably bad at PR.

fishstick600

Reaction score
well the processor is slower but not by a whole lot.. i dont really care if it doesnt have blue tooth and gps? so what.. now not having 3g is a big deduction.. i dont see any home/back/settings button either which leads me to believe they are either on one of the sides or maybe a drop down bar? like i said before ill have to get my hands on it to make a decision

xconwayx

Reaction score
There's a K Mart a couple blocks from where I work, so tempted to go do some lurking! :D

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
resistive screen, and NO accelerometer?

I contacted these guys yesterday to get more specific information for myself and I was a little disappointed in what I found out.
As you can see on their web site, all the pictures are in landscape view. I called to confirm if this was the only viewing option and they stated 'yes', that it does not rotate to portrait mode. Very disappointing, especially when I want to use this primarily as a eBook reader. I prefer to read eBooks in portrait mode.
Also, the screen is not capacitive.
I think I will be waiting a little longer for a different inexpensive Android tablet. I'm still looking at the Pandigital Novel as, I think , it has been rooted.

from Augen Gentouch: $149.99 at K-Mart - Android Tablet Forum

Sabiancym

Reaction score
I'll probably pick one of these up. I won't get enough use out of a tablet to justify $300+, but for $150 I could certainly use it around the house for web browsing when I don't want to sit at my desktop and I don't own a laptop.

fishstick600

Reaction score
Thats some serious bull****. You'd think they would take their time and make something right but instead they prob made it as fast as they could so they could beat all the major pc companies

jbee

Reaction score
Just went 3 blocks up the road to my local "K"...they sold out same day. They are, however, offering rain-checks w/no time limit. (I think this is up to each individual store manager @ the moment.) Also, they are allowing layaway on them...

Christobal

Reaction score
I don't believe ANY K-Marts have sold one of these and that they are not likely to be available in the next few days as they are claiming. I cannot find ONE hands on photo/review. SOMEBODY has to have one before we mortal shoppers are able to purchase one.

RemyL75

Reaction score
I am calling all of the KMarts in the Chicagoland area. So far, either they have not received them yet or they have sold out of them alreayd and waiting on more to come in this week. So I am inclined to agree with Christobal on this one.

Sabiancym

Reaction score
Just called my local K-mart. The guy told me he had one left and that he could reserve it. When I asked the price he said $100. So I told him to grab the box and verify the model for me. The moron said Augen Genbook, the crappy e-reader even though I specifically said that's not what I wanted.

He had no idea what a gentouch even was.

ninjabucket

Reaction score
Just found this:

[video=youtube;NY4cqncP3i4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY4cqncP3i4"]Quick Augen Review[/video]

We should be seeing more reviews soon :icon_ banana:

xconwayx

Reaction score
I don't believe ANY K-Marts have sold one of these and that they are not likely to be available in the next few days as they are claiming. I cannot find ONE hands on photo/review. SOMEBODY has to have one before we mortal shoppers are able to purchase one.

I just went to my Kmart and they have two. They also have a cheap Droid netbook.