Audiobooks stored on SD card

John Terdik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I just got the Galaxy S5 (16GB) and installed a 32GB SD card for extra storage mainly so I could put a lot of audio books on the phone. I use Listen Audiobook Player for playback. I just installed LAP and attempted to delete a book in the library that is on the SD card and get a message "Unable to delete book. Android 4.4+ does not allow apps to write to the SD card." Any way around this? If this is the case what the heck is the value of the SD card?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

The error you got was correct but the statement you said said audio book, not app. There are 2 problems here. Many audio book apps and other book apps store the media is a protected location that can only be accessed if you are rooted, However, any music or video files you own or photos certainly can be copied or moved to the SD card so there is a reason to have one for some people. But on KitKat you can't put apps there.

OP
John Terdik

John Terdik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Yes the app could not delete the books, nor could ES File Explorer on my S5. However I did find a workaround that I can live with. I was considering installing Android 5.0 Lollipop just chickened out with the installation of Lollipop on the S5 mainly because I found a workaround. The “workaround” – I attached the S5 to my computer (desktop) and in xplorer2 (file manager on steroids), opened JGT Galaxy S5 (this is what I named my S5), open Card\Audiobooks\_Books (I store all of my books in the _Books folder so I can easily add them to the LAP (Listen Audiobook Player) book queue. Selected the folder with the book and clicked the delete icon in xplorer2. This removed the book. I think the regular Windows Explorer would have worked as well but I never use it because xplorer2 is SO MUCH BETTER.

I really like what I read about Lollipop but I have too much on my plate to take this on at this time. I may do more research and go down this path but not today. :)