Audio Plug for Razor

tonynace

Reaction score
I want to get a headset to use on my Razr Maxx, but I've been trying without success to determine if my phone accepts the 4 connector plug that comes with the headset or just a regular stereo plug? I can't find that in the specs anywhere and even if it does accept it, are the pin outs going to be the same? I think I can work around the latter issue with an app, but if it physically doesn't have that fourth connector, it won't work.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
These devices use the 3.5 mm jack.. If I understand what you mean.

OP
T

tonynace

Reaction score
I know it uses a 3.5 mm jack. What I want to know is it 3 or 4 contacts?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Here ya go

OP
T

tonynace

Reaction score
Here ya go
You are missing my point entirely! I know what a plug for a regular stereo headphone looks like. I've seen a million of them. What I want to know if does the Razr accept this plug, which if for a headset, not just earbuds, and which includes a microphone.
View attachment 55247

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
A) Calm down. 94lt1 is just trying to help. While I'm sure it was clear for you since you know what you're trying ask, your original post wasn't entirely clear for everyone.

B) Yes, the RAZR/MAXX will accept that plug. I'm not aware of any recent smartphones that don't support a wired headset with a microphone via the 3.5mm jack. I seriously doubt there are many newer smartphones out there that only have a stereo plug anymore. I personally used more than one set of headphones that included a microphone (all of which worked) with the MAXX. Also, a quick search online brings up a lot of information and discussions about using wired headsets with the RAZR/MAXX, which will provide further evidence that they work if you need it.

C) While the RAZR/MAXX does have support for wired headsets, it may not work with all wired headsets. There are many headsets out there that are designed in such a way that additional software is required on the phone/device in order for them to work correctly. My suggestion is, if you have a particular headset that you want to make sure works with the RAZR/MAXX, go into a Verizon store and ask to test it out.

Last edited:
OP
T

tonynace

Reaction score
A) Calm down. 94lt1 is just trying to help. While I'm sure it was clear for you since you know what you're trying ask, your original post wasn't entirely clear for everyone.

B) Yes, the RAZR/MAXX will accept that plug. I'm not aware of any recent smartphones that don't support a wired headset with a microphone via the 3.5mm jack. I seriously doubt there are many newer smartphones out there that only have a stereo plug anymore. I personally used more than one set of headphones that included a microphone (all of which worked) with the MAXX. Also, a quick search online brings up a lot of information and discussions about using wired headsets with the RAZR/MAXX, which will provide further evidence that they work if you need it.

C) While the RAZR/MAXX does have support for wired headsets, it may not work with all wired headsets. There are many headsets out there that are designed in such a way that additional software is required on the phone/device in order for them to work correctly. My suggestion is, if you have a particular headset that you want to make sure works with the RAZR/MAXX, go into a Verizon store and ask to test it out.

That's what I was trying to find out. I figured it probably did, but I did not see that listed in the specs for that phone anywhere. As far as testing it out at Verizon, I can't do that because the unit I want to buy is not carried by Verizon, so I'll just have to take my chances and hope it works with my phone or at least can be made to work with an app. At least I know now that it physically makes the connection.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
The other thing i have found is the mic on the phone still works if you are using a standard stereo plug. For instance if i have the phone hooked into my car via the aux port i don't have to unplug to talk and the audio comes through the speakers

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Point being, in theory you don't need to spend the extra for one with a Mic. I have found the the phone Mic picks me up just fine. I have not tested this with the phoned in my pocket however.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Point being, in theory you don't need to spend the extra for one with a Mic. I have found the the phone Mic picks me up just fine. I have not tested this with the phoned in my pocket however.

Yeah, that won't work so well with the phone in a pocket since the mic on will be substantially covered. :)

In a car (if you're driving) you wouldn't want to use a headset anyway, so having one with a mic for that is really a very different situation. Some people like to use higher quality headphones or earbuds, and most often those will be wired. So, having a working mic on the headphones is nice, especially if you're moving around while talking and don't want to worry about pulling your phone out of a pocket.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Yeah, that won't work so well with the phone in a pocket since the mic on will be substantially covered. :)

In a car (if you're driving) you wouldn't want to use a headset anyway, so having one with a mic for that is really a very different situation. Some people like to use higher quality headphones or earbuds, and most often those will be wired. So, having a working mic on the headphones is nice, especially if you're moving around while talking and don't want to worry about pulling your phone out of a pocket.

Yes, i understand the merit of having ear buds with a Mic and i own a set. I was just pointing out something that i didn't know before, depending on the usage it can be handy to know

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sorry for not understanding your question :blink:

wcravey

Reaction score
Number of contacts

Three is for a headset without mic and 4 is for one with mic.